Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Wired in a mini tach today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Starting Member
97Beater4WD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wired in a mini tach today...

Since my 97 LS didn't come with a tach on the cluster I figured I'd put one in today... Here are a few pics...
Wired the backlight behind steering column to switched 12v wire and ran the others to tach sensor wire and the battery. Works like a charm...total cost $29.99*

Here is where the wires were routed from the steering column to go through the grommet to the engine bay

Thoughts?

Old 02-03-2012, 01:54 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Not bad, I would have just gone to a junk yard and got a cluster with a tach in it already.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:57 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Looks like a good install to me...kinda ricey....jk looks good.
i love additional gauges..mech esp.
i have a pair on my dash for temp and oil pressure..looks old school..which to me is always in style.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
Looks like a good install to me...kinda ricey....jk looks good.
i love additional gauges..mech esp.
i have a pair on my dash for temp and oil pressure..looks old school..which to me is always in style.
Lol at ricey....you're talking to a guy who has a vibrant exhaust tip and lambo doors on his summer car....I don't care if it looks ricey as long as ****s functional....I also like the analog look...I may do an entire custom cluster with auto meter mech gauges... But hey...ATLEAST it's not a giant 5 inch tach with a shift light

Old 02-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Xenon is on a distinguished road

Looks nice... Is it just the angle you took the picture at or does it block the oil pressure gauge?

Old 02-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Xenon
Looks nice... Is it just the angle you took the picture at or does it block the oil pressure gauge?
I'd say if u were 5'10" or shorter..it would probably block it...I'm 6'2" and all number are visable...just blocks the center of the gauge...I'll see if I can tke a picture at my eye level...

Old 02-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Xenon
This is the best pic I can get to describe how I view the cluster...all gauges (numbers anyway) are visible

Last edited by 97Beater4WD; 02-04-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Xenon is on a distinguished road

Looks good man! I'm 6'4" so it'd work for me lol

Old 02-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Thogert
Not bad, I would have just gone to a junk yard and got a cluster with a tach in it already.
I did...the three junk yards closest to me didn't have any and I'm not going out of my way to find one when I can go to auto zone and get one like this with a warranty and take a few minutes to put it in

Last edited by 97Beater4WD; 02-04-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:27 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Haha, yeah I was just giving you a hard time. I also have thought about just getting one of those and putting it on the dash somewhere.

Quick Reply: Wired in a mini tach today...