Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

1999 Subaru Forester...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DKSDAD
The last reported mileage was 137,835 in August of 2010. Good luck.
Well then.. That's more miles than the '99 has. Thanks for looking!

Since the weather is crappy today, I decided to get the car back in the garage and see about getting the oil pan off. That was very uneventful. Pulled the nuts off the motor mounts, jacked the engine up, cribbed it with some chunks of wood between the cross member and the motor mounts, then off came the pan. The dipstick tube even came out easily.

Diagnosis... Driver side rear cylinder spun the rod bushing. It is VERY tight in there, but a universal joint and a short extension allow for access to the rod nuts & everything there came apart fairly well also.

After polishing up the journal on the crank, it is just barely above the lower wear limit for standard size bearings. Lower limit is 2.04660" (51.984mm) and the crank pin measured 2.04670", 2.04665", and 2.04660 at the 3 locations I was able to measure it at with the precision micrometer I was using. I wasn't able to get a true 90* reading, but it was close enough. Based on that, I have a new set of rod bearings on order. We'll see how that goes. The parts won't be here until next weekend.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:50 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

Not running it for long probably saved you from having to get the crank resurfaced/replaced. I wish you luck!

do you plan on keeping the car? If so, the EJ25's are notorious for blowing/leaking head gaskets. I'm not sure if you want to throw some on while you got it apart or not.. But it's good preventative maintnence if you plan on driving it for awhile, and you're not on a real strict budget.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not planning on keeping it and will fully disclose the repairs that were made to the new owner. The asking price isn't going to be anywhere near as high as it would be if I was completely confident in the engine.

I forgot to mention the compression test. Compression was really good on all cylinders. #1 - 135psi, #2 - 132psi, #3 - 131psi, and #4 - 138psi. I thought that was pretty good anyway. Fairly consistent. All of the spark plugs looked good as well.

I may end up pulling the valve covers off before I list the vehicle for sale as well. Both have slight leaks.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Administrator

A short update. Replaced all of the rod bearings I could get at (#2, #3, & #4). There is no room to get at the #1 rod through the pan without first pulling the oil pump. It was running very well. No more noise or anything. AC & heat worked great. So I put it up for sale on Craigslist and had a few people looking at it. That was until some dim-witted bloke missed a shift, over-revved the engine, and blew the engine. Popped a rod out the top of the block.

So now I have it listed with the blown motor at $1000obo. No offers since. I've been paid for the time I put into it so I'm not out anything, but would still like to get as much money as I can for it to give to the owners. If it's still here in two weeks, it's going to the scrap yard. I don't have any more time to waste on it really even though I know I could part it out and make more than $1000.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Beginning Member
diRteh is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
That was until some dim-witted bloke missed a shift, over-revved the engine, and blew the engine. Popped a rod out the top of the block.
Really?...

I was all into the story and found out it didn't work out for anyone?..

Due to some dummy a$$ from C/L?!

OMG.. I wanna beat him up for ya.. or scare the hell outta him.. or something..

wow.. nice guys do finish last..

Sorry to hear it dude..

Old 05-11-2011, 06:49 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

What ever happened to "You break it you buy it"? Or you pay to fix it. What the hell was he doing beating on it anyway? Were you in the vehicle? I feel really bad for you.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road

2 hours to swap motors in those. The 2.5L's are garbage. Theres one down here for $190. Actually I think theres 2 or 3 here.

Last edited by Logan; 05-11-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Administrator

I don't have the time to mess with it any more. As I said, I've already been paid for the time & parts I have put into it so I'm not out anything. The owners are though. I was hoping to at least be able to sell it for what they have already paid me to work on it.

There is literally nothing you can do, legally. I already asked my grandfather who's a judge. I was with them, but it becomes my word against theirs (the kid & his father).

Old 05-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road

List it up on the Toronto Subaru club.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

2 words " That Sucks" sorry it didn't work out.

Quick Reply: 1999 Subaru Forester...