Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

2011 Hyundai Sonata or Elantra???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:44 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Question 2011 Hyundai Sonata or Elantra???

I have heard some really good things about Hyundai recently. I'm kind of starting to look for a car for the wife.
So yesterday we were at the Mall & there was a a great looking cars sitting on the Mall floor. I said to myself what is it. So I walked over to it to my absolute amazement it was a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. Then I saw the sticker price & my jaw must of dropped to the floor. $20,550.
So on the way home I stopped by our local Hyundai dealer. I saw the 2011 Elantra. So I got a brochure, to find out the new 1.8L Elantra engine now has a timing chain rather than a belt. & the Elantra in the GLS version stickers @$15,500. The new body is very much the same look as the Sonata.
Boy I'm temped to get serious about one. But most likely I will buy a used on for cash. I don't want to give out $16,000 of my own money for a new one. I see 05 for $5000 & less.
I'm also looking at the Chevy Cavalier & the Malibu again used 02 -05 years.
Anyone have any input on these cars.

Last edited by 4x4blazerguy; 01-16-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:46 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

I know the new sonata has been ranked #2 in overall quality, which REALLY surprised me. They used to be in the same class as deawoo and kia for me lol.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:32 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Smile

Originally Posted by zedartwo
I know the new sonata has been ranked #2 in overall quality, which REALLY surprised me. They used to be in the same class as deawoo and kia for me lol.
Yea & the styling & standard features for the money, not mention the warranty is unreal I think.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Starting Member
Murphy Mumgart is on a distinguished road

I know a few people with newer hyundai's and they all seem to love them.
I wouldn't buy a new car, because you can always get something just as good used for a LOT less money
But yeah, definitley look at hyundai, they are starting to take over in the auto industry.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:34 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

buying a new car is, imo the worst investment you can make.20 feet off the lot floor and it loses how much? its just rediculous.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Starting Member
Longer02 is an unknown quantity at this point

We rocked a Sonata for a week this past summer when our Trailblazer was getting it's transmission replaced under warranty. The dealership actually gave it to us as a loaner and even let us take it out of state on our vacation. Averaged over 30 mpg the whole trip, including a lot of in town driving, and it was pretty comfortable to ride in. Not a whole lot of feedback other than that, but I wouldn't mind driving one on a daily basis.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Beginning Member
Netcom is on a distinguished road

A lot of people give Hyundai and Kia a hard time, they just never had good names to start. But I will tell you that I had a 2001 Tiburon before I got the Blazer and it was a great car, never had a prob with it.
And just this last Dec I bought one of the new Kia Forte Koup, got it for under 20K, with taxes and its a sharp car. I took a chance on Kia, we will see what happens

Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

The past few years hyundai and kia have been moving up making better cars and still keeping the prices under most of the other vehicles in their class. If I needed a reliable family car I would definatly look into a hyundai

Old 01-18-2011, 02:23 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

i'm just super biased towards American cars i guess. i just don't like foreign cars. even BMW and Mercedes don't appeal to me. It comes from me living in a community where 60% of the working adults work for one of the "BIG 3".

but, i will give hyundai credit that their cars are looking a lot nicer and are being built better

Old 01-18-2011, 09:52 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

my dad says they only last 80,000km's lol

but in all honestly i drove a santa fe as a loaner with the sport shift auto and it was much quicker than the blazer, and the interior was pretty nice. but id never buy one. dont trust em.

around me seems like at least 50% of vehicles are trucks and suv's the further west you go, the bigger the trucks get.

Quick Reply: 2011 Hyundai Sonata or Elantra???