The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Alberta is underwater! Warning pic heavy

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Starting Member
mattjphoto is on a distinguished road

Lets freeze that water and play Olympic sized hockey.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:33 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Would make a big rink, but nasty ugly ice. There's so much silt in that water it's gonna make a horrible cleanup job. I wouldn't want that on my skates. You'd have to put a few layers of clean ice on top.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:23 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Been watching the flooding on Tv ,things like very terrible.Warning for people to stay away from bridges.Videos of the rivers flooding with roaring torrents of water.I cant imagine what the clean up is going to be like when the water level recedes.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Starting Member
mattjphoto is on a distinguished road

I remember the flooding of the Mississippi back in '93. I was only 11 but I remember sand bagging like crazy and the clean up sucked. Living in an area that floods every year I feel sorry for everyone and hope they stay safe.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:28 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

friends have family that had cottage property there that got wiped out

From what I understand it was on leased First Nation land
The government had been working to renew the lease but negotiation fell apart
Apparentley they were going to take the land back and people had started moving cottages off that land
Guessing the property is not as valuable now
Issue of communication and respect | March 29, 2013 Strathmore Times

Old 06-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

Just got back to work in downtown Calgary Thursday. Now it is a mad panic to get everything done we need to get done before the long weekend. They are still pumping water out of the parkade. Clean up will take some time before anything is back to normal. I am glad I live on high ground, I could not imagine having all that damage to your house and no insurance to help you repair it.

The problems we have don't even compare to the town of High River. The Alberta government has screwed those poor folks by still not allowing them back into their houses to access the damage and start pumping them out. Most of those places will be complete tear downs when they get to them.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by grizzstang

The problems we have don't even compare to the town of High River. The Alberta government has screwed those poor folks by still not allowing them back into their houses to access the damage and start pumping them out. Most of those places will be complete tear downs when they get to them.
Unfortunately it isn't that straight forward
I suspect there is power lines down
Restore the power lines down you got "hot" houses is various states of distruction including flooded basements
Even after pumping out the basement you still have a soaked electrical system

I can only guess the nightmare to restore water and sewage

Old 06-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rexazz2
Unfortunately it isn't that straight forward
I suspect there is power lines down
Restore the power lines down you got "hot" houses is various states of distruction including flooded basements
Even after pumping out the basement you still have a soaked electrical system

I can only guess the nightmare to restore water and sewage
The town does not have power. To me that would be a good time to get in there with a genrator and pump the water out then take all the flooded areas down to the studs so it can dry before they attempt to return power. Leaving a house full of water is only going to breed mold and bacteria to create even more destruction. Add that to the fact that the RCMP decided it would be a good idea to break into everyones house that they were forced to evacuate and lock just to look around. While they were in there they thought it would be a great idea to confiscate everyones guns saying they will return them to the owner if proof of ownership is shown. If you don't have proof of ownership the RCMP just stole your guns and I am sure a lot of people don't have proof of ownership for all their guns. I am not a gun owner but if I was in their shoes I would be pissed right off. To me their whole situation has been poorly handled from the get go.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:58 PM

unfortunately the scum bags will be out in full force
Securing the weapons I don't have a problem with
I you are clear for ownership and they aren't stolen they should be returned

I watched a documentary on hurricane Katrina
Not everyone made it out and were locked in their homes and drowned

Community's never seem to be prepared to deal with disasters
I am willing to bet there is someone somewhere losing sleep making the calls nobody wants to hear

Its awesome to hear that complete strangers are pitching in to help other strangers

Old 06-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Where I live, we were missed by MOST of the storms. Thursday of last week I got 7 drops of rain on my windshield and as I pulled into my driveway, I could see about 1/2 mile down the road a complete curtain of water coming down. The center of town got about 4 to 5 inches of rain from a storm that built up and sat there. Then earlier this week, another storm built up and stayed in the same general area and a little east, leaving 5-7 inches of rain. On the bright side, we're right on the Ohio river, new sewers were put in a few years back and the river was down. Except for a bunch of ruined cars driven by idiots that thought their little low slung cars could go through 2-4 feet of water and locked the engine that now smell from the backed up sewage.