Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

alternative to AC for home use

Old 05-21-2014, 02:24 PM
Starting Member
swells87 is on a distinguished road
Default alternative to AC for home use

Hey guys, I am just curious what any of you might know about swamp coolers and alternatives to a normal window AC unit. I live in a very dry area, we rarely get any rain, we get alot of wind though. I am trying to come up with a cost effective way to keep my house cool this summer, we have already had an 85* day and my house was about 83* inside. I dont like the heat all that much and cannot sleep in it, let alone all the electronic's and computers I have in my house dont like heat all that much either. I am looking for any alternative to ac and prefer something DIY, was hoping some of you guys may have some insight. My house is around 1400 square ft single level if that makes much of a difference. I was thinking about making something like this but testing the 5 gallon version first. What do you guys all think? We dont get that hot in the summer but will have alot of days in the low to mid 90's, and that is too hot for me lol.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:08 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

we have several of these at work
Port-A-Cool Home Official Web Site
They have basically turned them into very expensive fans

We had issues with the lime in our water ,it was tough on the circulation pumps and if the water wasnt completely removed they got funky inside
We see a lot of humidity and IMO it adds more to the air

Old 05-21-2014, 05:16 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

a swamp cooler adds to humity in the room and by doing that heat excapes with it. Chose a window unit that has continous water feed and install it in a window at one end of the house, crack some windows two or three inches in rooms at the other end of the house, leave all other windows and doors that go outdoors closed, by doing that the rooms will pressure up and push the humity out along with the heat. every now and then during the summer you can add a 1/8 of a cup or so of vinegar in the water in the cooler helps deoderize and minerals stay softer. Also if you wish as needed it helps to flush out the water tray and wash the mats with a garden hose. If you have cold winters you can pull it out of the window or leave in there and cover it, either way just drain it, unhook the water feed and wipe it down inside. The five gallon units that just sit on the floor and can be moved from room too room have no way to get fresh air and dissiapate the humity - To me portable units just make everything clammy.
EDIT Oh ya - if you dont want to do vinagar in the water a few caps of bleach works too

Last edited by odat; 05-21-2014 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added text
Old 05-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Starting Member
swells87 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info and tips, I have started to make a DIY 5 gallon swamp cooler that I plan on setting outside and piping into my garage, to see if I can cool it down a bit, also I really just want to see how well it will work. I will let you guys know how it comes out.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:32 AM
odat is on a distinguished road

as with my text above make sure you have a exit for the pressure - when i lived in town i cooled my house and also my garage with them, in the garage i turned on the exghaust fan for a exit instead of cracking a door