Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Always make sure your trailers are hooked up properly!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 03:19 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/...at-shawano-ave

This is just a sad story. From the pictures I've seen it was an empty utility trailer. This happened yesterday, and we just repaired one of our trucks at work yesterday morning because the hitch was separating from the frame. And hauling backhoes and other equipment around you can't be having a trailer hitch like that. I always double check my trailer to make sure the chains are on and the break-away is connected so stuff like this doesn't happen(I know not all trailers have a break-away). They haven't said what caused the trailer to break off. You don't hear about this often but it does happen. So hook up your trailers properly!

Here is her car

Attached Thumbnails Always make sure your trailers are hooked up properly!-original.jpg  

Last edited by rriddle3; 04-21-2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 04-21-2010, 03:51 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

This is why I always tell people NOT to hook the safety line to the hitch or bumper, but to the frame. That way if the entire hitch was to break away from the TV, the safety line activates the E brake. Either way, be properly equipped, don't exceed the TV or trailer ratings, and know your equipment!
I see people towing campers this time of year where the front suspension is completely unloaded and almost floating due to overloading/improper hitch equipment. Don't do it! You can be held liable should you have an unfortunate accident such as this.
It is really sad for the other victim. Someone just minding their own business doesn't get to go home to their loved ones & friends today. Truly sad.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:57 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LuvMyTJ
I see people towing campers this time of year where the front suspension is completely unloaded and almost floating due to overloading/improper hitch equipment.

i learned a loooong time ago-always inspect every tie down, every ramp latch/pin, everything on the trailer yourself.

years ago, someone had "helped" me tighten the rear straps on the stretched Dime we built. about 5 minutes after getting on the highway, i notice the rear of the Dime is "bouncing" on the trailer. when i pulled over, i found there was absolutely no hard tension on the straps. seems the tool that helped me had "always tied everything down on his trailer that way, never had an issue" so he said.

needless to say, no one-not even my brother (who i probably trust the most)-does the final check on anything i'm towing. and i never follwed behind that guy ever again (whenever he had his trailer on his truck).

Old 04-21-2010, 11:11 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

back when my family owned a H2 we were towing our 20' boat, we were going down a particularly bumpy road and coming to a stop at a light, when we felt the trailer slam into the back bumper...that left a nice dent in the metal bumper....thats what we get for using a 1 and 15/16th ball with a 2" opening....

Old 04-22-2010, 12:15 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BlazerGuy2001
thats what we get for using a 1 and 15/16th ball with a 2" opening....

you mean 1 7/8 ball.

but @ least you had steel bumpers to stop it, and it didn't "pop" off while on a bend, or turning a corner.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:44 AM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr

i learned a loooong time ago-always inspect every tie down, every ramp latch/pin, everything on the trailer yourself.

years ago, someone had "helped" me tighten the rear straps on the stretched Dime we built. about 5 minutes after getting on the highway, i notice the rear of the Dime is "bouncing" on the trailer. when i pulled over, i found there was absolutely no hard tension on the straps. seems the tool that helped me had "always tied everything down on his trailer that way, never had an issue" so he said.

needless to say, no one-not even my brother (who i probably trust the most)-does the final check on anything i'm towing. and i never follwed behind that guy ever again (whenever he had his trailer on his truck).

Yeah, I am a fanatic about my trailers & loads also. I only trust me when it comes to that stuff. Besides, usually when someone "helps" me, it takes twice as long anyways!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:14 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea even if someone helps me I always do a check if I'm the one towing it. Some of the guys don't hook up the break away because "it doesn't matter". I always do, peace of mind and safety.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:12 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by LuvMyTJ
Besides, usually when someone "helps" me, it takes twice as long anyways!
too true!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:40 PM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

I agree. I've hauled many trailers and equipment while doing landscaping and I also check everything before I go on the road.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:03 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Same here bigkhans. We have a car trailer we use for our skid-steer and either my dad or I hook it up and secure it. Our employees forget alot and it only takes one time!

Quick Reply: Always make sure your trailers are hooked up properly!