The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Any gun nuts here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:15 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ImScrewed92
Picked up a new in box unfired keltec p-11 at the pawn shop for $250. Traded in the 40 towards it so only gave $100 cash for it. DAO trigger and small gun for 10+1 capacity. I love it. Trigger pull is long but once you shoot it you get used to pulling back slack during recoil and being ready to pull when point of aim is back on target.

Running low on ammo, nothing new there, lol. Looking at CTD, they have 640 rounds of UCW in spam cans for $127 before shipping, best non corrosive deal I can find.
Have you tried Tula/Wolf or Brownbear ammo? I've always stuck with brass case but I recently tried some Tula that I picked up for $8.19/box from CTD (I'm about 5min from their warehouse/store) and it seems to work fine. I've heard lots of mixed reviews about steel cased ammo but I didn't have any problems. I'll try out a few hundred rounds and see if there's any noticeable extractor wear. They have a 900rd case for $159 which is a pretty good deal.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:34 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

hey guys. i've talked with screwed a little in pm chat but i'm looking to buy a handgun soon. I'll turn 21 in the end of May and soon after will apply for the concealed weapons permit. with where i work being a not so safe area, my cousin and the other shop owners around me have the CCW and suggested i get it when i can.

anyways, i'm looking at getting a reliable handgun that isn't very obtrusive, not super heavy but still have a nice heft to it along with having a presence when seen. My cousin has a Taurus 738 i believe, it has a good feel to it but isn't my style. I'm a big guy, i want a gun that matches me.

any help guys?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Jmooney152 is on a distinguished road

.300 WBY MAG. Lasermark w/ accubrake
.357 Ruger GP100 Nickel Stainless, Pachmeyer grips (yeah its a 6 shooter but damned accurate)
10/22 Ruger

My pride and joy
Weatherby Mk V custom (safari show stock) .257 Wby Mag. left handed. Built in germany in 1964. It was only the 3rd one built in this caliber in a lefty. Stock is currently at Weatherby getting reconditioned. (Ill post pics when it comes back) Simply beautiful peice of craftsmanship. I had the guns history traced and certified by the Weatherby archives. Ill get the paperwork back with the stock. I bought it at a show in 1986.

Hoyt Alphamax 35 I bought last year. Not a gun but , if its inside 60yds it dies. 650lb elk cow at 48yds the arrow went completely through.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Beginning Member
blazx3 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MTopper
hey guys. i've talked with screwed a little in pm chat but i'm looking to buy a handgun soon. I'll turn 21 in the end of May and soon after will apply for the concealed weapons permit. with where i work being a not so safe area, my cousin and the other shop owners around me have the CCW and suggested i get it when i can.

anyways, i'm looking at getting a reliable handgun that isn't very obtrusive, not super heavy but still have a nice heft to it along with having a presence when seen. My cousin has a Taurus 738 i believe, it has a good feel to it but isn't my style. I'm a big guy, i want a gun that matches me.

any help guys?
I always recommend the S&W M&P 9mm or 40cal compact, but the best thing to do is, to go to the gun shops and hold everything they have, you'll find something that fits you.

Good luck, and let us know what you get.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

well it'll be june before i get one so we'll see what happens

Old 03-15-2011, 08:09 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

I second blazex's advice. Try and go to a gunshow or gun store and get a feel for all the different ones there are. I would recommend a Glock 23. It's Glock's midsize gun so it will conceal a easier than the full size but it still has room for a full grip whereas many of the smaller guns leave your pinky finger with nothing to grip. It's chambered in .40S&W but is easily converted to 9mm if you want to practice with cheaper 9mm ammo.

I haven't shot an M&P but I've heard several excellent reviews for it. There are a lot of police agencies switching to it from the Glock since it's made in USA.

I would recommend sticking with either 9mm, .40s&w or .45acp since they are the three most common calibers and are the easiest/cheapest to find. 9mm will be the easiest to shoot and while it may not be as powerful as some of the larger cartridges, it is easier to hit what you're aiming at. No use owning the most powerful if you can't hit your target. Caliber choice is an endless debate and if you read any gun forums, you will no doubt encounter some fairly 'heated' arguments over which is best. In the end, shot placement is more critical than how big (or heavy) the bullet is.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Beginning Member
WHITE LIGHTNING is on a distinguished road

any help guys?

im a big guy too (6'5" 260lbs) and i can carry my Smith&Wesson 686 with the 6" barrel in the back of my waist band no problem. it is pretty heavy but a 4" should be pretty nice. its very reliable too. and would scare the S**T out of anyone to have a big .357 magnum pulled on em lol

Old 03-22-2011, 06:23 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

I have 22 firearms. 1/2 handguns, 1/2 long guns. I also refurbish old firearms in my spare time.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:26 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

any help guys?
Speaking from lots of experience, i'm going to have to go against what others have said here. If you are not used to Glocks, or .40cal, or handguns, DO NOT buy a .40 glock as your first handgun. It's not that .40 recoils hard, or is a bad round, it just recoils differently than alot of other handgun calibers. I have been shooting for the past 18 years, handguns for about 12. If you like Glocks, I highly reccomend going 9mm. Contrary to popular belief, in a personal defense situation, shot placement matters much much more than the caliber of your weapon.

I have owned four glocks in both .40 and 9mm.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Beginning Member
HHH6024 is on a distinguished road
Default My other toys

Bushmaster AR-15
Mossberg 590 12 ga
02 HD Deuce

Attached Thumbnails Any gun nuts here?-001.jpg   Any gun nuts here?-007.jpg  

Quick Reply: Any gun nuts here?