Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Anybody else into knife collecting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 09:06 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Smile

Originally Posted by AJBert
I don't collect knives but I do have more than a few. Always looking for a better one for field dressing and skinning. My little, itty-bitty every day pocket knife is a red bone Case. Sharp as all get out and has kept its edge for about a year now. I have a twin for it plus one they call a tooth pick.

My hunting knives range from Kabar to Buck to Gerber. My skinning knives are Outdoor Edge and Gerbers. Looking at another Outdoor Edge.

Again, not a collector but I have more knives than most I figure. Oh, I didn't even mention the Rapala fillet knives. Do they count?
Have you had good luck with Outdoor Edge?
The problem I keep seeing is that only Queen Steel, Case & Bear & Son are the only Companies that make every knife in the USA.
These newer steels that are being used to keep prices down I'm not real impressed with overall. I sell knives all major brands. It is getting hard to find real Quality knives without spending over $100+. Fixed Blades $200+.
I have a collection of Queen Pearl knives along with some Case Pearls. A very popular knife I sell are Mooremakers out of Texas. They are very popular with Cowboys. They are all carbon 1095 steel with a Rc 54-56 so soft but easy to sharpen razor sharp. Queen Steel makes their high end & I believe Bear & Son builds their working knives now to Mooremakers specs. Camillus use to build their working knives. If you haven't seen Mooremaker knives you have missed a great knife for not a real high price. I buy wholesale from them as I do all my knives for resale & they are great to deal with. I call them they send me the knives (I buy several hundred dollars at a time) with an invoice. They work with wholesalers on the honor system something you don't find these days.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:31 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 4x4blazerguy
Have you had good luck with Outdoor Edge?
The problem I keep seeing is that only Queen Steel, Case & Bear & Son are the only Companies that make every knife in the USA.
I've skinned probably 5-6 elk and 4-5 deer with my Outdoor Edge and have yet to need to re-sharpen it. My brother talked me into getting one and I've been more than happy with it. Thinking about getting another for field dressing that has a rather unique gutting blade. Much different than a gut hook.

And I've heard rumors that Case might be moving manufacturing overseas. I will hate to see that but at least I've got three of them made here in the good ol' USA. I'll have to check out the others you mentioned. I'm a bit picky on style (I like a good drop point) and handle material (wood or leather only for me).

Old 05-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Beginning Member
Crunch is on a distinguished road

I'm hearing your complaint about cheaper steels. Cold Steel is going to their 4116 Krupp Stainless for a lot of their knives, especially in their 2012 line up. The Leatherneck is going to a hollow grind instead of full flat and no more in SK-5 carbon steel.

Lemme see some action shots of that Bravehart by the way if you wouldn't mind.