Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Calling all Computer Guru's

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 04:49 PM
Starting Member
swells87 is on a distinguished road
Default Calling all Computer Guru's

Hey guys, being a bit of a computer guy myself, I was wondering how many others here are into them as well.

I currently have a dedicated server at home running windows server 2012, my gaming/school pc, an HTPC hooked up to my big screen, 2 laptops, 3 tablets, and a couple smart phones, all running on my home network.

I ran cat6 Ethernet cable to every room of my house and have gigabit switches to tie everything together. I run Plex media server on my server, and Plex media center on all the other computers. My plex server can stream my collection of movies across my network to any of my devices including my xbox 360 and ps3.

What do you guys have?

Also, I am in the market for a remote control for my HTPC, if you have any recommendations please let me know.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Beginning Member
Jimmybeatergal is on a distinguished road

Uhhmm... I have a labtop. Does that count?! Haha

Old 11-20-2013, 08:02 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

My current daily setup is a AMD quadcore running at 4.0ghz on air, 12gb of ram, I have a WD black 640gb hard drive as my system drive, and programs that I want to load fast. Then I also have 2 1tb drives for media ect.
The video card I am running is a G-force GT640.
It gets the job done for what i need it for, video editing, photo processing, and some pretty aggressive gaming when there is a game on PC that I actually like.
And ofcourse, Windows 7 64bit. I was on XP for the longest time, and loved it, most stable OS microcrap has released ever. But win7 seems to be doing a pretty good job.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Starting Member
JavierEscalonJr is on a distinguished road

I use 2 one a dell inspiron 8200 rocking Ubuntu 12.04 and a hp tower dual boot win7 64bit and Ubuntu 12.04 8400gs video card 2ghz single core processor 500gb hdd and 4gb of ram, on the tower a1.7ghz on the dell 40gb hdd 1 gb ram geforce 440 video card, I'm living high tech ain't I.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:35 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JavierEscalonJr
I use 2 one a dell inspiron 8200 rocking Ubuntu 12.04 and a hp tower dual boot win7 64bit and Ubuntu 12.04 8400gs video card 2ghz single core processor 500gb hdd and 4gb of ram, on the tower a1.7ghz on the dell 40gb hdd 1 gb ram geforce 440 video card, I'm living high tech ain't I.
whoa... slow down there dude..... LOL

Old 11-21-2013, 02:35 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Right now I'm just running my laptop with the i3 2.4GHz and 4G of ram. But I'm going to be building a gaming pc here in a couple of months. Gonna be looking to throw ~$2000 at it. Should be a good place to start.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Starting Member
swells87 is on a distinguished road

2000$ should give you an awsome machine. My personal/gaming rig is all built into a micro ATX case, it is small. I have an Asus Rampage mother board, I7 2011 socket Quad Core processor running at 4.0 Ghz, 16GB's of 2133Mhz memory, Solid State 240GB Hard drive for the OS and games/programs. A 500 GB hard drive for local storage, I use my server for all my other storage needs. And an ATI 7970 Ghz edition with 3GBs of ddr5 memory for a video card. And this is liquid cooled. I also have this hooked up to 2 Asus monitors running at 1080P. The whole build cost about 1600$ and that didnt include any kind of peripherals, like the keyboard/mouse, monitors or speakers. I can play anything out there at maxed out settings and I normally dont see anything less than 60 Frames Per Second.

My HTPC is an older I7 quad core running at 2.6Ghz, with 6GBs of ddr3 1600Mhz, and a small hard drive, with an nvideo 9800GT with 1GB of memory for the video card. It will handle all of my video needs and will do most light gaming without an issue.

My Server is an older Dell Poweredge that got retired out of one of my schools, they were going to recycle it, so I told them I would take care of it. It isn't terribly fast but does the job. It has a dual core Xeon Processor with 2GBs of sever memory, and right now it has about 3TB's of storage, hopefully soon I will be tripling the storage though.

Was considering picking up a
RaspberryPI RaspberryPI
to use for a media center for my kids room, or just to play with they look pretty cool. Have any of you ever worked with one of these?

Last edited by swells87; 11-21-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:49 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

I used to do custom builds current Im on my amd black edition quadcore 3.3 ghz processor 8gb ddr2 800 ram with a 1 terabyte hd.I have a blueray dvd. with Windows 7 ultament.I also have Intel quad core systems That I use and built 3 years ago.I haven't built any knewer technology with core I3,I5 and I7.Or the Fmx amd with ddr 3.The technology changes so fast I cant keep up any more.Im a self programs computer tech and built server computers also.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:00 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

My roomaate and I both have PCs hooked up to our big screens, and both have xbox360 and he also has a PS3, I have a laptop, and we both have smartphones. The laptop and PCs are all able to share the movie collection cause we have Windows8 and someone we know linked them all together with some "homegroup" thing thats built into Win8. We each also have a 2TB network drive that we can access from any of the toys.

Neither of us are "gurus" but we like the technology.

As for what RAM and processors and DDR and dual cores and video cards and network types are in the computers... I have no freaking idea what any of that means... Thats why I know a guy who sets this stuff up. He says our stuff is "OK" but getting old.

Last edited by ohsofly; 11-21-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:39 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I was thinking along the lines of an i7 and probably 32GB ram, and I'd like at least a 3GBs video card (maybe two if I can afford it.) I really doubt I'd run more than one monitor though.

A SSD is a must, as my dad and a couple of friends work at IMFT (Intel Micron Flash Technologies) here in Lehi, Utah, which if you didn't know, are the #1 company in the world for manufacturing NAND flash memory chips (SSD's and jump drives ect.) I can't wait to finish my degree to see if I can get a job there.

Quick Reply: Calling all Computer Guru's