Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Canadian Winters

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 04:14 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough
Default Canadian Winters

Lets show our buddies what its like for 6 months a year in the Great White North.

Here is a FEW of driving to Red Deer last weekend in the worst blizzard I have driven in. Hwy 2 in Alberta is divided and 2 or 3 lanes each way from Edmonton, through Red Deer to Calgary. This is what they call "Visibility 0"... We are going about 40kmph down the highway. This is during a bad part, its not always like this on the drive.

This is a snowplow backwards in the ditch, headlights up and away from me on a 45 degree angle.

Yes there is seriously lines on the road. Hard to tell sometimes which tracks go into the ditch, and which are on the road. Almost gotta drive by GPS.

Truckers were stopped everywhere, was really no other cars on the road but I had to be at my destination by a certain time.

That is an Astro van buried, and something else on its side with a snow drift built up against it. Probably about 100 feet into the ditch. That snow drift could have built up in hours only. There was 14 vehicles, 2 tractor units with trailers (upright still) and one snowplow truck in the ditch on my 170km drive that morning.

My buddys jeep, and my new ice tent. The jeep sucks on the snow, may get OK grip, but you cant go very fast cause the control track wont let you, and the fat tires have to much resistance in the snow. My blazer would whip this thing on the ice.

Drilling some holes. We do double 10inch holes and Kevlar gloves (in case you get bitten) cause a Northern Pike is nothing to scoff at here in Canada and would put you in the ER if it bit on your bare hand and shook. We catch the fish with a handline 50pound test about 12 feet long, one end tied in a loop, the other end hasa treble hook about 1.5inch point to point, and a live perch about 8 inche long strung on it. Put your hand through the loop and hold on. The perch sees the pike coming and lets you know to grab hold tight when it starts freaking out, then BAAAM... Fun times.

Last edited by ohsofly; 01-16-2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:02 AM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Screw driving in that crap. That's the one thing I regret not doing when I lived in CO was ice fishing! Ill make it somewhere one day and try it out though

Old 01-16-2011, 10:21 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

ya i got stuck in my own driveway yesterday.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Starting Member
98HeavyChevy is on a distinguished road

I used to live on the border outside of Cornwall. The winters there sucked. Can't imagine living any more north. The older I get the more south I migrate.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:35 AM

I hate snow and cold weather. Always have. Id rather have to hundred degree weather of the summer over cold.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:37 AM
BF Veteran

lol ya, most americans cant handle it

Old 01-16-2011, 10:51 AM

I can handle it... just rather not. I was stationed in Colorado when I was in the Army and hated every second of the cold. Haha

Old 01-16-2011, 01:25 PM
BF Veteran

well i might as well show you all how I ended up in the ditch.

Can you see the road? Narrow grid road leading to the acreage im renting at about 10mins from saskatoon with about 3-4 foot deep ditch on both sides, very steep.

everything is level'd out from all the snow.

The approach to the driveway where i fell in

Also, you can get lucky and have a set of tracks to follow, thats always nice, especially at night.

sorry about the quality, from my blackberry 8330.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:30 PM

Time to invest in a diesel with a plow

Old 01-16-2011, 05:17 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

lol blazinLoud I was going to say it didn't look like you were stuck IN the driveway, more like 3' or so off to the side.

ohsofly when we get snow like that I'm super happy to have these PIAA 520i's. Thats the PIAA's with the low beam 8000K HID's in projectors. Damn foglights cut through the heavy snow like there's no tomorrow, they're awsome! The bins are about 80' from me & you can see the foglights on the garage & house across the street.

Attached Thumbnails Canadian Winters-dscn0145-rs.jpg  

Last edited by Rottidog; 01-16-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Canadian Winters