Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Did I deserve it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 08:02 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Martin..I didn't know you were going to be a cop! That's awesome!
It was going to be my career also. I actually passed the entrance exam for the Calgary police, but I didn't want to move out west and leave everything here in the Maritimes, so I never pursued it.
You're not going to be a state trooper are you?

Old 06-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Beginning Member
FLEMTP is on a distinguished road

lemme give ya'll soon to be and want to be cops a good peice of advice...
become a firefighter.. its better pay.. better schedule.. and much less work..

I was a cop prior to being a paramedic.. and it was just too much BS, and too little money for a full time job.

Im in the process of becoming a part time deputy down here... but that'll be my fun job

Old 06-13-2009, 01:18 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by FLEMTP
lemme give ya'll soon to be and want to be cops a good peice of advice...
become a firefighter.. its better pay.. better schedule.. and much less work..

I was a cop prior to being a paramedic.. and it was just too much BS, and too little money for a full time job.

Im in the process of becoming a part time deputy down here... but that'll be my fun job

Actually the local pd pays better than the fd And not to bash, because i know we need firefighters, but I want do more than rescue cats and respond to false alarms most of the time. It would be nice to workout all the time though.

But I could never do what you do.. paramedic.. I bet your job is more stressful than police work... You hold people's lives in your hands.

Edt: Sisk, no HYPO for me, just city cop

Last edited by okvortec; 06-13-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:04 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

okvortec, I like you dude. please do not take this is anyway as a flame, or even a dick comment directed AT you. this is just the the way things are (as i have seen)

Originally Posted by okvortec
I want do more than rescue cats and respond to false alarms most of the time.
ROFL! I'm guessing you are a police explorer or some variation there of right now, correct? Dude become familliar with this term "IDS" Alarm. Intruder Detection System Alarms are the single most common thing you will be called to. False alarms are what everyone in the "help you out" business deal with.
Ask FLEMTP how many fat people with a chest pain he has been called to thinking he was rolling to a heart attack. or how many a-holes call 911 because ___ hurts...
I know kyle for one is a VFF, ask swartlkk how many times his radio goes nuts (or pager) and he gets pumped up and rolls out to some moron who has a lantern tipped over in a barn causing a bit of smoke to leak out from the doors.
Watch an episode of COPs. they followed the military police at Ft Hood TX (the largest army base landwise there is) for 6 MONTHS to get enough tape to show like 2 shop liftings and a couple BS traffic stops.

Hell I joined the Army for God's sake! i joined Oct 11 2001 so I could go to exotic countries, meet new and interesting people, and kill them. I have been so let down by the time I deployed for the 3rd time that I took up MMA fighting just to spice up my life. AND I jump out of planes for the army! its not like I'm a rear echelon mother trucker...

I just mean jobs like those sound really really cool on paper. In practice, they kind of suck. For every cat you rescue out of a burning tree, you will rescue 300 from a tree that is not on fire.

For every a-hole that chokes on a chicken nugget that you get to save from choking, 1,000 others will die.

For every meth head in a stolen Enzo you stop who has a Bennelli Super 90 on the passenger seat, you will be stuck trucking to get you mobile data terminal running so you can verify this old ladie's proof of insurance.

What were we talking about again? oh yeah! if you want good times, be a billionare, everything else is kind of a let down

Old 06-13-2009, 06:35 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Good...my only run in with cops in the states while on vaca was with state troopers..and they're all huge ******** who think they are the ****. No offence to anyone who knows/is one lol....just my personal experience.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:36 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

I know Ft Hood as good as if not better than anyone here-there's PLENTY of crime in Killeen. Hell, it even made maxim magazine a while back. If COPS was just on Ft Hood(military version of the show, maybe?) sure, theres not much crime on base. But if they were shooting in Killeen and not getting anything, then the show was just having bad luck.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sisk
Good...my only run in with cops in the states while on vaca was with state troopers..and they're all huge ******** who think they are the ****. No offence to anyone who knows/is one lol....just my personal experience.
Haha you'll love this... It's a local news story from a bout two weeks ago. Watch the video. http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=10428746

Old 06-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Beginning Member

Actually the local pd pays better than the fd And not to bash, because i know we need firefighters, but I want do more than rescue cats and respond to false alarms most of the time. It would be nice to workout all the time though.

But I could never do what you do.. paramedic.. I bet your job is more stressful than police work... You hold people's lives in your hands.

To be honest, ABN31B hit the nail right on the head. My job is very very easy most of the time. Out of 100 calls for 911... I might run across 10 AT MOST that actually NEED an ambulance or EMS. I get bored... but the money is great (we make about 20k - 2 times what the cops make) and I only work 10 days a month... the benefits are great.. free health insurance, and a 25 year and out pension... so in short.. if it aint broke dont fix it.

If you want to be a cop.. more power to you.. but get ready for lots of boring shifts.. and mundane false alarms, and getting b!tched out by old women on traffic stops because you look young enough to be in grade school.

If you want to see action.. go someplace like detroit... they're underpaid, overworked, and not appreciated by anyone.

As far as firefighters "rescuing cats and false alarms"... I dont know about the guys where you live, but here, they work hard, train hard and play hard. They go on all the medical calls with us, all car accidents.. and in florida... brushfire season means double and triple shifts for these guys ( and yes, they work 24 hour shifts like we do) so I dont know how you got the idea thats all they do....

I would suggest you do some ride along time with your local PD, and see just how boring it can be doing the job. Police, fire and EMS is not a job for just anyone. You need to have the right mentality to do this type of work.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by ABN31B
okvortec, I like you dude. please do not take this is anyway as a flame, or even a dick comment directed AT you. this is just the the way things are (as i have seen)

ROFL! I'm guessing you are a police explorer or some variation there of right now, correct?
Ask FLEMTP how many fat people with a chest pain he has been called to thinking he was rolling to a heart attack. or how many a-holes call 911 because ___ hurts...
I know kyle for one is a VFF, ask swartlkk how many times his radio goes nuts (or pager) and he gets pumped up and rolls out to some moron who has a lantern tipped over in a barn causing a bit of smoke to leak out from the doors.
Watch an episode of COPs. they followed the military police at Ft Hood TX (the largest army base landwise there is) for 6 MONTHS to get enough tape to show like 2 shop liftings and a couple BS traffic stops.

Hell I joined the Army for God's sake! i joined Oct 11 2001 so I could go to exotic countries, meet new and interesting people, and kill them. I have been so let down by the time I deployed for the 3rd time that I took up MMA fighting just to spice up my life. AND I jump out of planes for the army! its not like I'm a rear echelon mother trucker...

I just mean jobs like those sound really really cool on paper. In practice, they kind of suck. For every cat you rescue out of a burning tree, you will rescue 300 from a tree that is not on fire.

For every a-hole that chokes on a chicken nugget that you get to save from choking, 1,000 others will die.

For every meth head in a stolen Enzo you stop who has a Bennelli Super 90 on the passenger seat, you will be stuck trucking to get you mobile data terminal running so you can verify this old ladie's proof of insurance.

What were we talking about again? oh yeah! if you want good times, be a billionare, everything else is kind of a let down
I was an explorer and it was a very cushioned experience of what the PD is like. I know it's not all fun and there's down time, but what job doesn't have down time? I've got tons of friends and family in Law Enforcement so I've been around it, ridden many a times, and love it. The times when you get to chase the bad guy and take him to jail or help save someone at a wreck make it all worth it.

As far as the COPS thing goes, it's a military base... not a urban city. Now, I've never lived on a base, but I'd like to think that the people that live there serving our country are nice, people and that the police are rarely needed.

Originally Posted by FLEMTP
To be honest, ABN31B hit the nail right on the head. My job is very very easy most of the time. Out of 100 calls for 911... I might run across 10 AT MOST that actually NEED an ambulance or EMS. I get bored... but the money is great (we make about 20k - 2 times what the cops make) and I only work 10 days a month... the benefits are great.. free health insurance, and a 25 year and out pension... so in short.. if it aint broke dont fix it.

If you want to be a cop.. more power to you.. but get ready for lots of boring shifts.. and mundane false alarms, and getting b!tched out by old women on traffic stops because you look young enough to be in grade school.

If you want to see action.. go someplace like detroit... they're underpaid, overworked, and not appreciated by anyone.

As far as firefighters "rescuing cats and false alarms"... I dont know about the guys where you live, but here, they work hard, train hard and play hard. They go on all the medical calls with us, all car accidents.. and in florida... brushfire season means double and triple shifts for these guys ( and yes, they work 24 hour shifts like we do) so I dont know how you got the idea thats all they do....

I would suggest you do some ride along time with your local PD, and see just how boring it can be doing the job. Police, fire and EMS is not a job for just anyone. You need to have the right mentality to do this type of work.
I know what to expect, I've been on ride-alongs for a few years now. And the grade school comment made me laugh because I know it's true

Every place is different, around here the FD doesn't do much of anything, but hey who's to say that's bad. Maybe they're not needed. Broken Arrow is the safest city in the state and top 20 in the nation thanks to police and medical services. The community loves the police here, I know that sounds crazy, but it's true!

Old 06-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Beginning Member

I know what to expect, I've been on ride-alongs for a few years now. And the grade school comment made me laugh because I know it's true

Yes, it is.. I have a baby face.. always have .. so I look about 7-10 years younger than I am... I still get comments about being too young to do what I do.. and im in my 11th year of it!

Quick Reply: Did I deserve it or not?