Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Did you know?

Old 02-20-2019, 10:15 AM
DonL is on a distinguished road
Default Did you know?

So I'm at work today, and out of all thing I've learned, theres a vortec 4.3 engine in our Toyota 15000lbs forklift!

so I'm just wondering, what else has the vortec in it?

Old 02-20-2019, 12:20 PM
Tom A is on a distinguished road

Lots of boats use the 4.3, but I'm not sure if they're Vortecs or not.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:33 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

We have a few Toyota fork lifts at my job, too. I'll have to check and see what they got under the 'hood' now.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:43 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 is on a distinguished road

Ditto on the boats.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:17 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

I did know Since I was looking to get a spare engine to my ride. They differ with an upper intake however, and costs approximately two times more.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:42 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Wonder what all is different besides the intake/fuel injection to get them to run on natural gas or propane or whatever? I bet the cams are different, I wouldn't expect a forklift to be running up to 5k RPM, either. Bet the powrband is pretty low

Old 02-22-2019, 08:27 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cleburne red View Post
Wonder what all is different besides the intake/fuel injection to get them to run on natural gas or propane or whatever? I bet the cams are different, I wouldn't expect a forklift to be running up to 5k RPM, either. Bet the powrband is pretty low
Actually, LPG installations do not involve camshaft change. You just have to:
- cut off the fuel supply
-"fool" the O2 sensors operation
- inject the gas directly into throttle or injectors (which is kinda complicated due to the spider assembly)
... and that's all. OFC there are another options, with carburetor it is even simpler.

Camshaft are a subject to change, if You want to run Your engine on alcohol. Yeah, I've been thinking whether You could run the engine on distilled potato or grain fuel. Technically possible, but for me it's a subject to develop while Mad Max era.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:59 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Hmm. Today I learned!

Old 02-22-2019, 03:37 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

A simplistic explanation
The old school carb type was about the same,
The units that I was around has a gasoline shut off valve along with a LPG shut off valve that gives the option of running either fuel.
LPG conversion is sort of a closed unit that fits on top of the carb. It has a flip valve for air intake during gasoline usage and shuts during LPG
There is a heat exchanger that is coolant heated that turns liquid LPG into a vapor state.
Metered vapor from the exchanger is sucked in thu the carb. as air would be.
LPG was considered a dry fuel so back in the day when we run LPG in our crew cars we also added a few OZ of marvel mystery oil when we filled the tank to help lube the top end. without the valves would pit and burn. But this was also early 1960 era cars before the engine changes for unleaded fuel.

Last edited by odat; 02-22-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:51 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Well dang, we've got two LPG Yota lifts in our shop that look just like that (actually we've got 3 that look like that, but one is diesel...), I'm going to have to look up their skirt and see if that's what power's them

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did you know?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.