The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Dimensions Class 2 Reciever

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:35 AM
rustynail is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dimensions Class 2 Reciever

Hej there,

can anyonehook me up with the dimensions of a class 2 or 3 hitch reciever? Is there an difference besides the tow rating?
-> length, inner diameter, distance of the pin hole from the end etc.
I want to fabric some lifting/towing points for the back of my blazer, using my trailer hitch as a basis.
We have a different towing system here in germany, so I have no chance to measure it myself.
Thanks for every input. As soon as I have it working, I'll post the drawings.

Elmar

Old 10-06-2008, 01:56 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Dimensions Class 2 Reciever

Blimey! EvenGermany has Blazers! lol.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:18 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I might be able to swing getting some measurements on a class 3 hitch. I've got it off the truck and sitting in the garage (casualty of the body lift until I can get it welded). There is a difference in how the class 2 and class 3 hook up to the frame...but that kinda ties in with the weight rating.

Here's a quick pic of the mounting situation for a class 3

A class 2 hitch would only use the forward-most 2 bolts (closest to the shackle). You can see how the class 3 hitch actually replaces the stock bumper brackets.

Are you sure you want to get into fabbing one up? They arn't that expensive, and although shipping would be annoying to get over there, the liabilities/danger of making your own hitch is a bit more pricey than shipping..

Old 10-07-2008, 09:41 AM

Thanks Wolfpak,

Idon't want to make my own trailer hitch and use it for towing, what I wan't is to modify my existing hitch so I can hook up a hi lift or put in some reciever shakles as a towing point when I get stuck. Something similar to the reciever tubes synergy is offering for the front end. Unfortunally they don't ship overseas....
Sorry if my english isn't clear sometimes.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:45 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I tried hooking up my hi-lift to my hitch....It was not nearly stable enough to do anything but get yourself unstuck

Every extra bit of lift would just slide to the side. I tried a bunch of different ways...just not safe on road

The closet I got to it working was with the bumper lift mate. It let the jack stay up right, and the little bit of sway needed was absorbed by the chain.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:16 AM

I read that thread. That's why I want to weld the reciever tubes to the outer edges of my hitch, somewhat close to the frame.
Similar to the place I put the yellow squares.My hitch is a little lower than yours. If I reinforce it a little it'shopefully strong enough to provide a lifting point.
I don't pull anything on the road anyway, just need a good lifting/recovery point.
Did you already find a good spot for the hilift? Besides rock sliders? Those are in fabrication, but won't be finished this year...

Old 10-08-2008, 05:29 PM
BF Veteran

The best solution I've found is the wheel mate.