Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Engine tear down

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:32 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough
Default Engine tear down

So my friend bought a 91 4runner 3.0 v6 with a rod knock as a project for us to work on, and later sell. So we pulled the engine out (piece of cake on that) took the oil pan off and found out that the rod bearing on the #1 cylinder is the problem. So we need to take the crank out to get it machined (its still within tolerance).

Now my questions..

I have never really tore down an engine that needs to be put back together properly and the part im wondering about is timing. So i know you have to line up both marks on the cams so cylinder #1 is at TDC but is that all you have to do? Then after we take it all apart and put it back together all we need to do is make sure the marks are lined up and put the crank back in so that cylinder #1 is at TDC again?

Or whats the trick to that? because im sure eyeballing TDC on cylinder #1 isnt a very good way to do it.

Also, any tricks to getting the crank pulley bolt off? impact wrench?

Old 04-24-2012, 08:49 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

There is a mark on the crank pulley that lines up with the timing marks "0" degree mark when cyl 1 is at tdc. And dont forget a cam turns 2 time for every 1 crank rotation. So when 1 is at tdc, BOTH cyl 1 valves will be closed. If either is open, you have the cams 180degree out of phase

Also, dont touch the berring surface with your fingers on the new berrings, and lube em up real good with white grease before installation.

You can also take photos before teardown to aide in putting back together.

Last edited by ohsofly; 04-24-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:50 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

There's all kinds of ways to do it. One way to make sure it's dead on is tie a string around the crank snout slide it close to the timing belt pulley, take the string to centerline of bank 1 cam. Naturally make sure the knot is in line with crank center. Centerpunch the crank cam pulley right behind the string

Otherwise the best way to find tdc is a dial indicator.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:34 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ohsofly
There is a mark on the crank pulley that lines up with the timing marks "0" degree mark when cyl 1 is at tdc. And dont forget a cam turns 2 time for every 1 crank rotation. So when 1 is at tdc, BOTH cyl 1 valves will be closed. If either is open, you have the cams 180degree out of phase

Also, dont touch the berring surface with your fingers on the new berrings, and lube em up real good with white grease before installation.

You can also take photos before teardown to aide in putting back together.
Oh ok so then the marks have to be lined up AND the distributor pointing toward the #1 cylinder?

Originally Posted by pettyfog
There's all kinds of ways to do it. One way to make sure it's dead on is tie a string around the crank snout slide it close to the timing belt pulley, take the string to centerline of bank 1 cam. Naturally make sure the knot is in line with crank center. Centerpunch the crank cam pulley right behind the string

Otherwise the best way to find tdc is a dial indicator.
Are you saying to do this before you pull everything and basically use it as a mark? If not im kind of having a hard time picturing this.

Or once i take the pulley off couldnt i mark a spot on the crank and a spot on the block and line them back up when i put it back together? that still requires eyeballing but a little less.

Also, im not sure how im gunna get both cam gear bolts off and the crank pulley bolt off... I saw that the cam gear bolts are tightened to 300 ft/lb..

Old 04-25-2012, 11:55 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

I guess i should have made clear to do it before pulling the timing belt. Just never occurred to me.
1. Align cam timing marks with timing belt intact
2. Find and mark crank position WITHOUT crank accessory pulley.
- who wants to mess with timing belt align with the crank pulley on!

300 ft/lbs!!! That's insane. Are you sure?

Old 04-25-2012, 12:53 PM

Ohh that makes a lot more sense.

Oh and it was 300 ft/lbs to break it loose.

Thats what it said at 1:30 of this video anyways.. (same engine)

Toyota 3VZ-E: Removing Cam Sprockets - YouTube

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 04-25-2012 at 12:57 PM.