Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Ever hear of MAECO shocks ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 08:44 PM
Starting Member
don james is on a distinguished road
Question Ever hear of MAECO shocks ??

My neighbor is having to sell and go to live with kids......he had nice old fishing boat and offered it to me for 4 hundred,,,,,,,,,,the boat is a 14 ft polar kraft aluminum...with a 30 hp johnson workhorse and a johnson electric on the front.......I didn't think that I would ever buy another boat, but I just could not pass this one up..........It looks like it was a matching setup, and well cared for.......the motor started on the third pull after sitting all winter......

The trailer is a HOLSCLAW??????????????.....I need to do some work on the trailer........the boat is in great shape.......but i don't think anything was ever done to the trailer........

This trailer has a coil spring suspension with shocks......Maeco ..........they are monroe blue color........The internet searches just seem to lead to wild goose chases..........

Has anyone heard of this brand???..........I need to get some kind of a cross reference.....If I can't find anything out I guess I'll just depend on my buddies a MAPA

Old 03-03-2018, 08:56 PM
Starting Member

I just found "Monroe Auto Equipment" while reading Monroe shock co. history..........could these MAECO shocks be........Monroe Auto Equipment Co......??......I'll look the number up under the monroe name.....

Maybe i solved my little problem :-)

Old 03-04-2018, 04:41 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I would just take one off and bring to an auto parts store and match it up as close as possible

Old 03-04-2018, 06:40 AM
Starting Member

Shoot, that is the easy thing to do.;-)..........At my age, I'm in No hurry, I like the mystery, I wrote an inquiry on the monroe website to see if they are monroe shocks....

as long as I have other projects, I will leave the blazer alone, it runs better that way :-)

Old 03-04-2018, 09:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Found THIS DISCUSSION searching "Holsclaw boat trailer shocks" which suggests that
Monroe 555002 shocks Monroe 555002 shocks
are what is recommended as well as an additional mounting bolt kit, Napa PN 650-1100 which is also available as
Dorman HELP! 31001 Dorman HELP! 31001

Prior to ordering anything, I'd run through the dimensions listed on Monroe's website for the 555002 shock, just click on the 'Tech Specs'. Of importance are the extended and compressed lengths as well as the bushing inside diameters. If everything matches up, good! If not, then maybe it would be best to take the shock along with the extended & compressed length you had measured into Napa or other competent autoparts store and see what they can find.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:51 PM
Starting Member

thanks swartlkk.........I must have misspelled "holsclaw" when i searched???.........I just figured the company was long gone.........it will be interesting to see if I hear back from monroe......

I don't know how much good the shocks do, [hold the springs in place??] but one of them blew all the oil out and I've decided to rebuild the whole trailer........if the boat was not in such good shape, I wouldn't bother.......I need a good project anyway...... our weather is starting to turn nice........thanks again
Don

Old 03-08-2018, 07:15 AM
Starting Member

I heard back from monroe, [so i can note good customer relations ]........they also suggested the 555002.....I hesitated a little on the gas charged shock on a boat trailer, but when i read some reviews on amazon, there were about five other guys who have ordered these shocks for the same name and type of trailer, that wrote that the 555002 worked well for them......

amazon is crazy......one shock is coming from the middle of kansas and the other from las vegas....... they met in Denver..........I hope they become mated buddies before they get to me

thanks for the help........