Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

FUEL SAVING DEVICES (prove me wrong)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 03:46 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future
Thumbs down FUEL SAVING DEVICES (prove me wrong)

Just thought I'd throw this out there (forgive me if this topic has been discussed before).
My friend keeps bugging me about these "TORNADO FUEL SAVERS" that they sell at the truck accecories shop, he wants help to put them on his Jeep because they claim to help you gain hp and mpg...

I personally think it's an absolute load of horse hockey that this little 20 dollar piece of stamped aluminum you stick in your intake is gonna help you gain even 1mpg.

Is there someone that can prove me wrong?

He's also wanting to buy some sort of resistor or chip (he's really car dumb so he couldn't explain where it goes or what it does). Once again, more mpg and hp. I've read up on these and they just lean out the fuel:air mixture... Buddy was pretty serious about buying this little 5dollar gadget off of eBay, and I told him NOWAY was I installing it for him.

There's a little part of me that wants to see him buy that chip and blow something apart because he was running too lean... like I told him.
(I've seen lots of airbox mods without re-jetting accordingly gone wrong on snowmobiles, BRAAAAAP! BAWWWWW! SPAT!.... nothing .... Then the dumbass usually tries starting it again after lol. This friend is one of those dumbasses)

Last edited by oktain; 06-03-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:57 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

Both the Tornado and the "Performance" chip are completely useless, i know both items have been discussed on the forum before so if you feel like doing a bit of searching you should be able to find some solid evidence. so if your buddy has his heart set on these things he'll just have to find out the hard way that he spent $25 for two paper weights.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:30 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

I can vouch that the Tornado is garbage, I had one in mine a while back. Complete was of money.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:20 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I'll have to show him this... exactly what I thought.
Thanks

Old 06-03-2009, 06:28 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

Mythbusters proved the tornado is useless.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mech cb
Mythbusters proved the tornado is useless.
x2, and every other so called fuel saving device

Old 06-03-2009, 10:40 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

I didn't see them really mess with electronics. Just mechanical devices, tailgate up vs down, drafting a bigrig, and a/c vs windows down.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

they tested the magnets, DIY hydrogen fuel cell, asatone in gas, pure hydrogen, a super fuel efficient carborator, and veggie oil. The only thing that some what worked was the veggie oil in a Diesel Benz

Old 06-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

one of the best fuel saving tricks I've come accross was my foot. Not jumping out of stop lights and stop signs, ya it annoys people sometimes, but i've got my blazer up to 18MPG and my blazer still runs like crap

Old 06-05-2009, 12:16 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Thor_449
but i've got my blazer up to 18MPG and my blazer still runs like crap
LOL. Same here, when "conserving" gas I try not to hit over 2000RPM, drives me nuts.

Quick Reply: FUEL SAVING DEVICES (prove me wrong)