Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Good beginner bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TheStig
good to know. I was wondering about the Ninjas, they seem to have a pretty good variety of sizes, look good, and seem really cheap.
I was also wondering what is considered high mileage for a bike? Most of the ones in my price range are in the neighborhood of 15-20k, the highest being almost 30k
High Mileage is compared different from bike to bike, also between air and water cooled. If I would be buying a used sport bike, I would stay under 20K

Old 02-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Starting Member
Brianator99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you really set on a sport bike?
I've never been on a sportbike but I'm fairly content with a harley. Insurance is not too bad and of course it sucks on gass with a 1200 but I could never get into the sportbike scene.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:20 AM
Starting Member
TheStig is on a distinguished road

Im not set 100%, I've just was under the impression they're an easier bike to learn on than a big 1200 monster lol. Plus for the most part they seem to be cheaper than a Harley

Old 02-03-2010, 07:27 AM
Starting Member
Brianator99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Idk totally about that. I started riding on dirtbikes and the first actual bike I started on was a Sportster 1200 xl.
And yeah pretty much anythings usually cheaper and some of those little 500 cc and such bikes go really cheap.

on this side. your blazer is a 99 and has 29k on it?? wow. mines an 00 with 130k.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Beginning Member
mosca1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My first bike was a Honda CBR F4i. Those bikes are easy to ride and tough as nails. I dropped mine twice and except for some fairing damage it held up. its a 600cc but has enough power to not need anything bigger if your not looking to race. Around town its quick and all I ever needed.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:28 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sway_89S10
Don't mean to go off-topic, but motorcycle insurance isn't required around here. It's actually funny how it works, If you have insurance, you're not required to wear a helmet, but if you don't then you are required to.

seriously?

Originally Posted by bigjon1
Just go down to your local suzuki shop and get the keys to a hayabusa lol. No but seriously a katana is a good bike for a beginner, its light, cheap and easy to fix
yeh, that'll be a good learner bike for you to start wit. plus, you'll probably never out grow it. and if you do, they make a nice turbo kit for them, really helps to open them up.

but going with a Gixer/Katana is probably your best bet. Suzi's are everywhere (at least around here), and any parts (for repairs or maintenance) are usually pretty plentiful and rasonably priced.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Beginning Member
yellow_ZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

sport bikes are a dime a dozen, but learning to ride and now have taught quite a few people i recommend getting a standard. examples are:

GS500
SV650
nighthawk 650
honda hornet 599

standards are good because they look cool (IMO) but also give you an idea of a middle ground. if you think u'd like to be bent over more then u can go with a sport bike next. these bikes also typically have sportbike engines, detuned slightly for better drivability. if you realize you want to be more relaxed, then you can look into cruisers.

i learned on a yzf600 (looks like a sport bike, positioning b/t a standard and sportbike) and then realized i wanted more power and more comfort so i went to a vmax. on my second vmax now...

if you want some more advice feel free to PM me or keep asking!

Attached Thumbnails Good beginner bike?-picture309.jpg   Good beginner bike?-sspx0373.jpg  
Old 02-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, Yellow Z -- what's that second bike? I like that one!

Old 02-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Beginning Member
yellow_ZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

its a 2003 yamaha vmax. unchanged essentially from '85 - '07. 145 hp at the crank stock. mine is probably closer to 155 as I am right around 120 rwhp. i have tons more pics if you are interested.

they just released a second gen that is about 200 hp at the crank.

when it was released in 85 it was the fastest accelerating production motorcycle.

thats my baby. i like working on bikes b/c u can do it all with hand tools.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

All I can say is that bike has got me drooling. I already found a couple on sale near me. After I get my next truck, I will then work on getting one of these.

You can create a photo album in your garage. Then people can just click on it to view.

Quick Reply: Good beginner bike?