Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

good obd 2 scanner with live data

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 10:26 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Snap-on introduces new Verus Pro | Parts & People

itll set you back 18 grand but tell her if she loves you money is no issue thats what we use at work and its insane the things you can do with it

Attached Thumbnails good obd 2 scanner with live data-verus_pro_wscan_lg.jpg  
Old 09-27-2014, 10:39 AM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by abig84
Snap-on introduces new Verus Pro | Parts & People

itll set you back 18 grand but tell her if she loves you money is no issue thats what we use at work and its insane the things you can do with it
hahaha if only! if she buys be an 18k scanner, then shes gonna want a 30k engagement ring since were going to look today hahaha, and shell pull the same card back on me. but damn how nice it'd be to own something like this

Old 10-01-2014, 01:29 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

it sucks to buy used, but i have a little hand held mac one with a 2009 operating system in i picked up for 50 bucks. does live data and readiness monitors along with a bunch of other crap i dont use. dont have abs though

its a mac ET97, looks like launch sells a rip of version of it.

but those $50 ones they sell at harbor freight and most other stores are garbage, half of them just give you the code with no description

Old 12-27-2014, 12:55 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

The Tech 2 in post #5 is probably the best deal , I bought a usb to obdII cable from Scantool and I use the Scan XL pro software , It has an obd terminal and I can send hex commands to read and clear all the modules....I originally bought it to read the AWD codes on my Astro van.....but one must research and find the hex address of each said module....works good and I love learning ****.

StRaNgErOcK

Old 01-03-2015, 10:17 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Depending on what you want to do with it there is options from 20$ to 2'000$.
While I was looking into proprietary tools and also stumbled upon the SnapOn one finally my budget constraints made my buy a Diamex DX65 OBDII Handheld.

Nice and small. Have been using it on Mazdas, VW, Fiat and Saab as my Blazer is an OBD I.
On most cars it could even access the ABS or transmission box.

Able to display all standard or output parameters while running. No logging function thou.
Cable is long enough to have it sit on passenger seat even when the plug is on the drivers side.
Codes are output with clear text explanation except for manufacturer codes. So in general no need for a list to translate.
Multi language. Needs no external power and has no batteries or such as it is powered by the OBD connection.

Very easy to use. I had my girlfriend use it when driving to cancel the MIL during the time the catalytic converter broke down till I exchanged it.
My Mazda dealer got himself the same one after he had seen it when we used it to reset the MIL after changing the cat.
Less hassle than hooking up his interface and USB to OBD cable and start up the laptop to just cancel the MIL and check during the test ride if the cat was working properly. We were done in 30 seconds.

Has the ability to reset faults one-by-one or all at once and cancel the MIL.

Cost me 50$ including shipping.

Last edited by error_401; 01-03-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have had several PC based scanners over the years. My first was an Autotap scanner that worked quite well for reading codes and such, but it did not include the specialized systems such as SRS, ABS, TCCM, etc nor was it capable of bi-directional communication to control actuators, etc.

From there I moved up to Autoenginuity and have been very happy with that scanner. With the Proline version and the GM enhanced options, it is a VERY capable scanner with bi-directional controls and access to virtually all of the networked control modules.

I am now moving towards having a small, yet capable scanner that I don't have to lug around my computer for and a full function scan/tune suite for the more in depth diagnosis and tinkering. For that I have moved to the Scantool.net MX device with Torque Pro and will be selling my Autoenginuity setup prior to purchasing EFI Live FlashScan v2. That way I can tinker with my Denali as well as my work truck (2011 2500HD 6.6L Duramax).

Old 01-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

Hi swartlkk , That is a cool little unit, i'm going to look at that EFI live you mention .....I would like bi-directional.

Ouch , that price hurts.....maybe the autoenginuity is more my bag for bi-directional.......but really only a savings of a few hundred bucks by the time I load up the software.

Last edited by Strangerock; 01-03-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The Scantool MX is not a bi-directional tool. I am bought it so that I can just leave it in my truck and use it with my phone whenever a friend or family member calls up or shows up somewhere with a question. The EFI Live Flashscan tool can operate as a stand alone scanner as well, but I really do not want to carry a $900 tool around in my truck.

I will be creating a for-sale thread on my Autoenginuity tool. It will be discounted slightly from full retail price by about $50 which is what it would cost to add another year of software updates. I have really liked this tool and contemplated keeping it, but I don't really have $900 sitting around to buy the EFI Live stuff at the moment.