Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Hazard lights on in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Starting Member
kevlar974 is on a distinguished road
Default Hazard lights on in the rain

I live in florida where we get rain so hard you can't see 50 ft.

So I turn my wipers up to 11 and slow down. Rain-X helps too.

Last wed. I'm driving down I-95 and I-4 and it dumps on us from Jacksonville to Deland (almost Orlando).

So people start turning on their emergency flashers by the dozen and now I have a light show to deal with and HELLO I can't tell if you are changing lanes with your lights allready blinking.

Not only do I find this dumb and dangerous, its also illegal in Florida (checked with FHP).

Sorry if I'm bitchin better to vent here than road rage.

Maybe I should have titled this: What have you seen idiots doing on the road lately

Old 07-04-2011, 12:36 PM
m3ch is on a distinguished road

wow............thats uhh.....stupid lol

up here in minnesota! ive seen people in the middle of winter, practically drive 50 mph into a snow bank on purpose and blame it on other people........

the other day tho an "out-of-towner" almost hit my truck, she was flying through the intersection at about 45 (speed limit is 30) and started to turn into the front left side of my truck *driver side*......i had the right of way because i was going straight.........i seen alot of stupid things, i have also done alot of stupid things............

Old 07-04-2011, 12:39 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I live in Utah, nuff said.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:56 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, no state requires an IQ test to get a driver's license.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:46 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Sadly, no state requires an IQ test to get a driver's license.

haha so true

Old 07-04-2011, 07:56 PM
stanger_missle is on a distinguished road

I have noticed this too. Being a transplant to Florida, I was puzzled why people turn on their hazards when a downpour happens. Most of the roads I travel on in Tampa are 45MPH but people do 20MPH when it downpours. I have yet to be on the interstate during a downpour so I cannot comment on how people react.

I'll turn on my headlights and wipers but not slow down unless there is a huge puddle in the roadway.

Florida - the land of clueless drivers. Thanks for raising my insurance rates!

Old 07-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Beginning Member
bikerz80 is on a distinguished road

stupid is a problem coast to coast we usually see this in NY in the winter because of a lil snow on the ground.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:48 PM
m3ch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bikerz80
stupid is a problem coast to coast we usually see this in NY in the winter because of a lil snow on the ground.

oh god............do not remind me..........when it first snows......people here forget how to drive and end up in the ditch.....24/7 i got several calls from people i know in the ditch

Old 07-04-2011, 09:24 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Well my view may be that they (the hazards people) are doing that to be seen. Because A: they can't see so they feel that others can't see them, or B: it may act like an intermittant fog lights so they can see... off & on. They don't realize that it interferes with other drivers' vision.

On other quotes:
YES people forget how to drive at 1st snowfall
YES I've gotten many calls to help or have ventured out (just because I can & am well equipped to do so) in inclemant weather (plus it's fun!)
IQ's & people driving? .... are you serious?! I have seen many people that shouldn't operate a toaster nevermind a vehicle or even a computer!
Slowing down a bit is good measure because you're not the only one on the road & others may not be as "brave" as others, they like to drive slow when they're not sure.
Slowing down to the point where you're being dangerous = pull over on the shoulder, hazards or just running lights & wait it out if you're unsure.

Sometimes people stop to think (what some consider "common sence") & forget to start back up again.
It's amazing how uncommon common sence really is.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Beginning Member
Shadow123 is on a distinguished road

Last Christmas eve I had some lady from NY run into the back of me. I was on the highway, with my cruise set at 55. Which was the speed limit. Luckily my previous vehicle was a 95 GMC full size van. She bent my bumper a little, her car had to be towed.

Quick Reply: Hazard lights on in the rain