The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

To heck with insurance companies!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 06:55 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

OP, heres my opinion. I lived at home many moons ago too, and used to drive my car "on my parents insurance"... Did that for years, but once I got my own car I got gouged anyways, so when do you want to get gouged? Now or later? Cause you cant get around the expensive rates later in life. You need to be the primary driver on a clean ins plan for years before you get the discounts. I used to have to pay 350 a month on a brand new car back in 99. The damn car was only 317/mo... Go figure that one. I get good rates now on whatever I drive, but thats with about 14 years insurance and no at faults but a few speeding tix... You can drive on your folks plan for the next 20 years, and even if you go get your first insurance plan when you are 40, you will get gouged then too... At least thats how it works where I live and drive.

So my advice is, just buy your dream car and keep it parked and mod it. If you want the car and the girls and the speed, you are going to pay for it. Besides, you parents dont want to get screwed over for years on their premiums if you smash it up. And they also want to see you strike out on your own and take the world into your own hands... Once you have a clean history on your own policy driving some low risk cars, then you can go to your insurance company and say "Oh by the way, I would like to add my speed machine onto my policy" and then you wont get raped by such high rates cause you have a history with the company.

And honestly, I was a young guy once too so you cant BS me here... We do stupid sh*t and wreck things showing off... We burn off tires we cant afford, we get stuck in places we shouldnt be, get towed cause you got caught going too fast, pay a zillion tickets or let them go so long that dad gets mad and pays it off then holds it over your head forever... That camaro is a gem and I honestly wouldnt insure one for my kid just because I wouldnt want to possibly bury them cause their friend didnt beleive it goes 250kmph, even if they paid it in full by themself. Ive cost my dad tens of thousands doing dumb stuff that I feel sorry about now in life. I would want my kid to get to about 25 before they drove a fast car... You change when you become an adult, but I beleive you also change again at about 25 when you become more responsible.

Get the car, and spend the next however many years modding it... Use that money you would have paid for insurance to buy it a friggin supercharger and some fancy rims or neons and stereos or whatever... Besides, the car will still have the same effect on ladies, they may not get to go for a ride in it, but that wont stop them from wanting a ride on it.

You could always take that money saved for the hotrod, and BUY A HOUSE with it... Home insurance companies dont care how old you are of how many years of home ownership you have... And the chicks love a guy with his own house much more than the guy who has a sweet camaro paked at his parents house. Most houses even come with a perfect camaro parking spot too.

If you dont like it, you could always move to a third world country where there is no such thing as auto insurance.

Last edited by ohsofly; 03-02-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Beginning Member
offroadwnc is on a distinguished road

Hahahaha i like this guy ^. Although i keep my screwing around in the parking lots due to the actions of 2 of my friends who will get their license back in 4 years....maybe. Anyway its almost not about getting the car now but just trying to beat the big business lol. Im gonna do everything i can to get that car and if i cant then ill save up till im 19 and replace time wasted with more horsepower!..... Do i hear WS.6 anyone? Thanks for your input fellers

PS i would start a new thread but i really dont wanna start a big controversy but i gotta say this deal with the Westboro Baptist Church is ridiculous. I wish i could deck every one of them in the face...........

Old 03-02-2011, 08:12 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

I don't wanna stomp on anyone's parade....

But the recent purchase of the 04 GTO full coverage is 430ish every 6 months for full coverage. Blazer for full coverage was about 500 a year.....

22, never pulled over, no tickets (knock on wood).... Been the primary driver of a car since 16.... and I am primary on the GTO....

Old 03-02-2011, 09:08 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I pay $180/year for my Blazer 4x4. But we're old, with no tickets or accidents.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:08 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

I would look into putting the car on a separate policy with your dad co-signing.

When I got my first car,my dad and I decided to have my truck on a separate policy with my dad signed on as a driver, too.
I paid $130 a month full coverage, and after a year it's down to $110. I'm not covered with the other 2 cars at our house, but I rarely drive those, anyhow. I have one accident and ticket on my record, but both were resolved after I took some sort of driving class.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:10 PM
matt92 is on a distinguished road

I was gonna say, time to find a new company.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I bought my first blazer at 16 they wanted 1000 every 6 months on top of a 3000 down insurance deposit that I would got back in 5 years if I didn't get into an accident with a fatality, and that was for basic minimum coverage. When I got my motorcycle....dear lord they wanted 1500 every 6 months though with no deposit this time. Mind you this is after a house, 5 other cars, and straight A+ student discount were on the same plan. We ended up saying my dad drove them around mostly....and he lived in colorado at the time.

Last edited by Thor_449; 03-05-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: I suck at typing
Old 03-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Beginning Member
offroadwnc is on a distinguished road

Wow that sucks. Cbr: thats what were doing but since i live in the same house their saying i have access to all 3 cars on both policies so i have to pay 2 inexperience rates. But im definately looking at other companies. My dad is pretty mad about this too

Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 84BlazerS10
Yeah, insurance price is outrageous mine is $45 a month just for my 84 blazer and I'm 18 and have every discount possible including honor student discount.

Originally Posted by offroadwnc
Wow that sucks. Cbr: thats what were doing but since i live in the same house their saying i have access to all 3 cars on both policies so i have to pay 2 inexperience rates. But im definately looking at other companies. My dad is pretty mad about this too
not sure just how your policies work down there, but here we can have some forms signed by all licenced drivers that reside in the house. it stipulates that driver "X" does not have permission to drive the vehicle(s) stated on the agreement, and if driver "X" does drive said vehicle(s), that they do so knowing that they do so without any valid insurance coverages.

@ lorton: you sound like my youngest brother. his Jimmy is more to insure than his RX-7!

seriously, it's something like $43 more a month.

guess they think RX-7 is some code name for a tank or something.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:22 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by offroadwnc
I live at home, too and I didn't have that issue.
That's odd. Well, I guess it IS time to shop around.

Quick Reply: To heck with insurance companies!