The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Help me choose a welder!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:45 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Help me choose a welder!

Good choice on the welder and a good price to boot. I have an auto dim helmet that I really like, except for the fact that the actual headband part digs into your skull.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:20 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

thats a cool looking helmet. i thought about getting that onn but i know a guy who has it so i went with something different. as for the jacket, i prefer the thin green ones im not sure what the material is but i like it better than the leather because its lighter and cooler

Old 11-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I wasn't going to get a leather welding jacket. Their too expensive and I have found that if not used frequentlly, the leather can dry out and become stiff. Atleast that's what happened to my dad's old leather welding jacket. But then again, he really never used it.

So I got everything all put together this afternoon and practiced on an old PC case that I wasgoing to junk. I'll be doing some practicing on this sheetmetal for quite some time. And yeah, this is one smooth operating MIG! Super clean welds as well.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:24 PM
BF Veteran

Does it work without gas also? My uncle bought a gasless mig last year. It has hookups for gas, but is designed to run without it too. Works just like a normal mig, but it welds like a old AC welder without the gas.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, my new welder is flux-core capable as are just about all MIGs provided they have knurled drive rollers. I didn't get everything necessary to use flux-core wire though because I didn't want to deal with the slag left over after welding.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:13 PM

the flux core wire is harder to make a pretty weld. it takes more practice and most people hate it. i like flux core myself

Old 11-06-2007, 09:29 PM
BF Veteran

I must be a natural then. Iput downsome of the best welds I've ever done on the deckguard of the lawn mower with the flux core!

Old 11-07-2007, 04:20 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I like fluxcore... If the welder can handle it... The MIG welders we had at school must've been getting tired... They couldn't put out the amperage I needed...

Then again, I tend to run the machine at max speed and do fast welds, lol... Luckilly my teacher never did manage to break one of 'em...

Old 11-07-2007, 06:06 AM
Administrator

I've used flux-core wire in my Dad's welder. I was able to lay down a nice bead under all of that slag, but man is it a pain if you have to do multiple passes... We decided that it wasn't a whole lot better than the stick welder for those windy conditions. So why bother changing over the MIG.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:40 PM

yea it is a pain if you have to to muti-pass. i need to re-word my last post. flux core is harder to get used to than a mig w/ gas. i like not having to worry about running out of gas. just out of wire

Quick Reply: Help me choose a welder!