Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

How did you learn Car repair etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:52 AM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Learned everything from my dad. I used to watch him work on his 79 K5, so when the time came for mine he helped me until I could figure stuff out on my own. So far I've done brakes, front and rear axle, u joints, driveshafts, anything to do with engine reinstall, system install, paint, oil change, tranny fluid change... umm lots of things.

Can't wait when the time comes for my little one to be old enough to help. Hmmm, I bet he's old enough to learn what tool is called what... he already knows what his facial features are. He's totally getting a tool kit for Christmas!

The only stupid mistake I can remember making is on my stepdad's Ford a couple months ago. I couldn't figure out how to get the brake caliper off... it was a stupid goshdern clip that had to be hammered out. And then you have to have 2 people to get the new caliper and clip back in.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I started really working on the family cash crop farm when I was 8 years old, but I was tinkering with all things mechanical since the age of 5 (took off the refrigerator door - who knew it would come all the way off if you pulled the exposed screws on the bottom hinge... ). While in high school, I was responsible for all of the maintenance on our tractor trailers, tractors, farm trucks, and quite a few family vehicles. It all just progressed from there. Most of what I know/do/recommend is from on the job experience and no amount of book learnin' can substitute that.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Beginning Member
Jimmy05 is on a distinguished road

I went to my first race when i was in my mom still haha, at the old Vancouver Indy. ever since then i have been going to races. And i always would help my Dad out when if something broke, one day i was helping him and something happend and he started swearing, then i copyed him when i was like 4 years old haha.
Then one day the whole family took a trip to Vancouver and thats when we picked up my first go kart. Started racing them when i was 7 and havent stopped but now im racing Street Stock. So i rebuild the racecar every winter, and mess around with carbs, diffs, camber, caster, and all that fun stuff

Heres a pic of the toys, Street stock, and the go karts (world forumla and 125cc rotax)

And google helps too

Old 12-02-2011, 03:22 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I am self tougt out of necessity. I started working on my own cars when I was 17 and I am now 57 and I still work on my own vehicals. New cars are not that difficult other then the electronics are much more integrated. A scan tool is a must. Most jobs I will research the manuals and internet if I have not done it before than make a informed decisision if I want to take it to the shop or do it myself. The hardest jobs I tackeled was replacing the engine in my 89 Jimmy by myself with no help and installing a timing belt on a subaru flat 4 cylinder with dual overhead camshafts. (Had to keep all 4 camshafts on the marks while installing the belt) New jobs are just excuses to buy more tools!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:54 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ChevyBlazerChick
He's totally getting a tool kit for Christmas!
Seems like a good idea but my 3 y/o has already taken so many things apart I'm starting to regrett it. He removed the back of the recliner using a pastic screw driver and pliers. How I have no clue as I about stripped the heads of the screws with metal tools putting it back together.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I am afraid to give metal tools to my kids. They've already started taking stuff apart with their plastic stuff. Gavin (4) actually broke a pair of plastic pliers the other day... He was trying to take the front door off the entertainment center in the basement...

Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

I started last december when I got my Jimmy for christmas. First project was the suspension and steering. I barely knew how to change oil and now I've done intake gaskets, minor trans work, and all the tune up stuff (and obviously a lot more I can't think of). I must say that I've learned more from this forum than anywhere else. Thanks guys!

Old 12-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

I got into it from watching and helping my dad. He was a hot rodder ever since I could remember. We rarely owned a family car when I was growing up. He loved muscle cars and hot rods and changed vehicles often. I still remember my moms face when he traded off our old Chrylser (that she loved) and brought home a 55 Chevy with a 427 BB in it. He did stuff like this all the time. I started twisting my own wrenches when dad gave me my first car. A 1965 Corvair. It looked kind of cool but what a lemon to give a 15 year old. I spent more time under it than in it and parts were nearly impossible to find but that was my dad. Practical was an afterthought, it had to be cool and fun to drive.

I myself owned a 1970 Nova SS with a 396 BB 4 speed. It was show car perfect when I sold it. We just finished off my brothers 67 Nova this spring. There is not a part that was not touched on this car, it is truley beautiful but not OEM in anyway anymore.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:21 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I am afraid to give metal tools to my kids. They've already started taking stuff apart with their plastic stuff. Gavin (4) actually broke a pair of plastic pliers the other day... He was trying to take the front door off the entertainment center in the basement...

Yeah I thought plastic tools, great idea. He can wrench, leave my tools alone, and not do any damage. Don't be fooled a 3 y/o can figure out how to make something work.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Starting Member
99LS4x4ryanlw is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pettyfog
I grew up on a farm. If you dont fix stuff yourself you are SOL and even poorer than if you didnt.
I hear you there 100%. Growing up on a farm is a huge thing when it comes to mechanic work and ingenuity. I have learned quite a bit from working on a family farm, but since I am only going to be 20 in a bit over a month, I certainly have a LONG way to go. As far as vehicles, I mostly do the work on cars around my place. My dad doesn't care to do much except oil changes and the basics while I am all for going a little deeper into things. I have also learned quite a bit about the blazers from this forum (best website I have found in the history of the internet lol) and other various places on the web

Quick Reply: How did you learn Car repair etc.