Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

How to tell if a jumkyard axle has limited slip or not?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:30 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to tell if a jumkyard axle has limited slip or not?

I need to replace the rear axle on a Dodge Ram 1500, 2wdr, 5.9L V8. Its a 9.25 axle in the current truck. I'll call the dealer tomorrow with vin number to get axle ratio.

I need to figure out how to tell if the salvage yard axle has a limited slip or not. Looking for any help. Anyway to tell by opening up the cover, or spinning the tires?

Long story:
Son bought a '97 Dodge Ram for 3,500 with 105,000 miles and rear brake problems, e-brakes engaged and wont disengage, brake line broke, assumed the grinding noise in the rear end was the brakes on drums. It wasnt, it appears to be the limited slip or one of the bearings in the axle. Regardless were are looking at $1,100-$1,200 in parts alone.

Salvage yard axle is $150, plus $40 for 6 month warrenty, and $10 core charge. So Im going to swap in a used axle. Going shopping tomorrow or Wednesday at my local U-Pick and Pull store.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The dealer should be able to tell you about the options the truck came with stock based on the VIN, but besides that...I'm not sure if dodge uses anything similar to GM's RPO codes or if there is something on the axle itself to identify what's in it.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Dan 128 is on a distinguished road

We have a few U-Pull & Pays, I scored the entire rear axle for my wifes Cherokee Sport for $100. Just check the milage and if its a low mile vehicle and the reason for being junked is obvious, like totalled in a wreck, rod through the side of a block, sometimes you can ask what's broke on it. Then its usually a good score.
On a good tight rear-end you can do the spin one wheel trick but if the cluches or the rachet mechanism is worn or not working it won't work. The best thing to do is pop off the back cover (if it has a back cover) and look inside. If it's set up like a Ford 9" it might require a little more effort. You may get lucky and the yard may know already, doesn't hurt to ask. Of course if they know it's a posi your going to pay a little more (usually).
Good luck searching!

Last edited by Dan 128; 06-08-2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Didn't really answere the question.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:25 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the feedback. I called the dealer with the vin, current truck ahs a 3.55 limited slip Corp 9.25" axle. He said I cna call them witht eh truck vin number and they will let me know what axle options it came with. I thought that was cool, he knew Ill be pulling it at a Pick n Pull too. Tomorrow I go shopping and Friday I go pull it.

Wish I had a torch.

Any tips or tricks to yanking out the old?

Old 06-13-2010, 04:20 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

When I did my old dodge, it wasn't too bad. In a junk yard setting, it may be bad. I had the junk yard pull it out for me in the shop. Torch on the U bolts help A LOT! You'll probably need 4 new ones. Big breaker bar. Brake tools(I had to switch out the brakes from the old one to the new one). Extra set of hands.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:35 PM
BF Veteran

Update.
I went to the U-Pull it and took a look at the axles they had, most half buried in the dirt, and they have rules about no jacks, no torches, I have a rule about no sale. I went next door and they had a '99 with the 3.55 gears, and limited slip for $275 plus $150 one year warrenty on parts and labor, sold. Plus its stored in the warehouse.

Had them load it up in the back of my Blazer and drug it home.

Finished swapping the axles a couple hours ago. Took it for a test drive, works great. Now I have a mess on the garage floor to clean up.

I also have strange thoughts of swapping the 9.25" into my Blazer.