Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

I flooded my Blazer in a HUGE pool of water and need ideas/help!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:16 PM
JasinP is on a distinguished road
Exclamation I flooded my Blazer in a HUGE pool of water and need ideas/help!

OK so I was backwoods last weekend, a place I have gone fishing MANY times, there is almost always a pool of water back there but has never been this bad, this time I hit it and stalled out in water over my rear bumper, I was able to get my Blazer towed out with a newer Trail Blazer, I let everything dry out for a couple of days and she wouldn't start, as soon as I turned the key it just cranked maybe once then clicked even with jumpers attached and my gauges all just died, like the battery was dead.... I figured I fried the starter and solenoid, replaced both and hooked up my battery charger, the engine now turns over, but will not fire and water just pumps out of my tailpipe as its turning, I checked the oil it is not milky or anything I recently changed the oil and it looks like a fresh oil change, smells a little gassy from trying to start it but that is it, The Airbox and air filter are SOAKED!! I took out the filter and am letting it dry and cleaned out the air box, I do not want to further damage anything is there anything else I can do or should I just start shopping for a new Chevy? any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you guys!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

I don't have much experience with this kind of thing, but I have heard a few people on here suggest removing the spark plugs and turning the engine over. Lets any remaining water in the cylinders to be shot out. Let it sit without the plugs in and dry out, and then go from there. Good luck!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 PM

Thanks Red '96 I will give that a try, seams feasible, I appreciate your input!

Old 05-24-2011, 11:03 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Red 96'
I don't have much experience with this kind of thing, but I have heard a few people on here suggest removing the spark plugs and turning the engine over. Lets any remaining water in the cylinders to be shot out. Let it sit without the plugs in and dry out, and then go from there. Good luck!
Yup & remove the dist. cap, make sure no water or moisture is in there. IF you crank it over with the plugs in (not wise) remove the coil wire, but venting/pumping water out the cylinders via the plugs is the best route. Perhaps PM Benidict, he does lots of water ventures & probably is a good source of info. He's ROTY - Ride of The Year btw.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:06 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Yeah pull the plugs and crank it over, dry out the distributor, and put it all back together, should fire right up. I would do it sooner than later before the valves start to get rusty... Then they may not seal properly anymore.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:50 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

been there done that. go with the above advice. also after you get the engine running, might want to check the trans fluid, transfercase and axles too. chances are unless you ran longer vent hoses there is water inside there

Old 05-26-2011, 06:26 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like you already were cranking the engine, am I right? If so, you may have bent valves and such as well. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Cool Update!

So I pulled the plugs, NO WATER came out, my distributor and rotor button however were TOAST, I replaced both and she fired right up!! she is running a little rough, I forgot to buy a new air filter, picking one up tomorrow, stalling out on first couple of starts and idles rough when stopped at a light, I have noticed something with the transmission though it sticks in first gear a little too long and jerks going into second, all other shifts seem fine, no problems at all on downshift... could that be an indication that water is in the tranny? I'm no mechanic, I can do light work on cars/trucks but when it comes to drive train I'm a deer in headlights!!! Thanks everyone for all your help with this!

Old 05-26-2011, 08:16 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Glad it's running. I'd get a compression tester and flush the trans/tcase and diffs. An oil change wouldn't hurt either.

Compression test the cylinders, you may have bent a valve... or many. Also, since you'll be pulling them anyways, a fresh set of spark plugs isn't a bad investment.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Beginning Member
Lidberg is on a distinguished road

I did the exact same thing to my '96 Blazer when I was on AT at Ft McCoy, WI this summer. Big puddle at 25MPH = hydrolocked engine.

Pulled plugs and turned the engine over, then replaced them. Replaced air filter because it was soaked. Replaced TPS (throttle position sensor) a few days later because it was full of water and would idle at around 2500RPM and shift points were all jacked up.

Result: runs like a champ. Nothing broken, which is amazing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I flooded my Blazer in a HUGE pool of water and need ideas/help!