Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Im freakin ticked off at Northstar Collections

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:58 PM
JRob238 is on a distinguished road
Default Im freakin ticked off at Northstar Collections

Ok to start off I got in a little over my head with a credit card when I was younger. I racked up a pretty decent credit card bill. Being young and dumb I couldnt afford it. So it got turned over to collections. Well I scored a good job and started making 300 dollar monthly payment to knock this thing out. Well three months later I found myself indefinitley laid off. I managed to make another months payment but found my self coming up short in december. So I called and talked to a Mr. Anderson. He told me that he understood my situation and that he could move decembers payment to the end of the of the scheduled payments freeing me up for Dec. That was awesome. I was happy christmas was still gonna go ok this year, wrong. Jan 1st I realized they had took the payment out anyway without my consent. Now if im not mistaking thats stealing and the FPDCA and the HIPPA Laws say the same. So I call back furious trying to get my money back. They say that if they give me my money back it will discontinue any agreement I had with them and they would have to pursue the payment in full. I explained to them the conversation I had with Mr. Anderson and they just ignored that.

After a few weeks of arguing they impose me with a settlement. So I said I count my loses and try this settlement. They told me if I didnt take it then I would be responsible for payment in full. So I tried to come up with the cash but on the 14th my wife had our little baby girl so money is tight. I called told them that I couldnt do the settlement that whatever they needed to do from there would be fine and that they did not have permission to withdraw any monies from my account from that day forward.

Today Feb 1st another 300 dollar payment has cleared my account and I know have 5 bucks to my name and a family to provide for. I have tried calling three times and all I get is an answering machine.

I know I made the debt im responsible for it. I was trying to get it gone. But I was wanting your guys advice. What can I do? what should I do? I was a debt collector awhile back and I know I would be in deep poop if I took money from an account where the debtor stopped payment. I mean taking money from someone without permission is stealing right?

Old 02-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

I would ask your bank to change your account number. That way if they tried again, the account would come up that it doesn't exist. Also I would contact a dept management company to help you out with a repayment plan. Either way the credit company is going to want their money and they aren't going to stop harrassing you until they get it. And don't think that collection agencies care about your situation, they get paid by the bank for any amount of money they collect from you. So that is why they ignore everything you have told them because they probably hear the same story from everybody who is in collections.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

... well i understand your frustration and get the venting. I do man.
BUT i am not savvy on the laws governing this.....

if it were me, i would change where my $ gets deposited into an account that is not set up for auto deduction BY them. you cant take money that isn't there....

if you are paying via allotment (call your bank) shut it down. allotments will take the money regardless of your wishes, because it is run by a heartless bank computer...

have your pay checks/un-employment checks/lotto winnings etc put into your wife's account, savings, or anywhere else. it's like keep away: put it where they can't get it.

all of that will only buy you time, and not much at that, but the payments will be on your terms for a while.

*if you just had a kid, look into things that will help you out: WIC for example will take the load off the food bill
*the salvation army can cover a catosrophic payment (not credit cards) if your water heater blows up, roof collapses, car breaks down, etc
*cut back. no more DVR, cell phones, internet, taco bell runs.... kids and families EAT money.... stretch what you've got.
*take your insurance plan to the minimum required by your state
*only cold water for the washing machine and large loads instead of multi small loads
heater at 65-68 and dress warm. a blanke ton the couch can be worth it's weight in gold.
*sell plasma. it's the gift that keeps on giving
*it sounds 1900th century-ish, but go cloth diapers. tons of work but saves tons of cash.
*unless you get WIC, formula aint free... stick with the free food option...
*call a creit counseling place. they have to do SOME good

i dunno man, i have never been in your shoes, but i've had a few soldiers that have been. there are a lot of options open to them, but some of the same are available to you.

you can make it work, but nailing down a job, not matter how menial, will keep the lights on and keep food on the table.

*btw: keep the lights off, and everything you dont need to run/charge unplugged. use the curtains yo.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the advice guys and I see your points on they are gonna keep coming for the money its expected.

I plan on taking care of the debt soon as my income tax comes in around the 15th I just need my money now to pay bills that are due within the next week.

If they would have cancelled the first payment in december I would have been fine in Jan. I recieve a VA check that covers most the bills Hail the Infantry. But 600 bucks really hurts.

I spoke with them and they are requesting my bank statements and after reviewing them they are gonna refund my money. By that time I will have my income tax and this all wont even matter. I am almost considering letting the big man win and just forgetting about the money.

Said thing is before the Military I was a debt collector. Although I will admit the company I worked for had alot more integrity than this one. We actually honored our word. If we said we stopped payment we stopped the payment. None of this lying horseplay.

I may count my losses and refer this situatin to the FDCPA. Maybe I can't save myself but I can possibly help someone in my situation in the future.

Man what I would give to beat the living hell out of the 18 year old me right about now. And the 20 year old my who blew his sign on bonus on a Jeep, lift, tires, bumpers, and all that jazz.

EDIT: I just noticed I posted this in the wrong section

Last edited by JRob238; 02-01-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:41 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Contact budhibbs.com.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:48 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

dude i must have missed (sorry) the part where you are military (even former). Reach out to a group called "Operation Homefront" they can at least float you if that's what it comes down to.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:44 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

that really sucks about your situation brother, but try to look for the silver lining in this, " but on the 14th my wife had our little baby girl".

dude, right there is what it's all about. we sacrifice what we have to for them. i know i'd luv to have my projects/toys done, but the whole spiel about "food on the table, a warm bed to rest their heads, clothes on their back" is 150% true.

good luck man, i'm sure most of us will be saying a litte prayer for you, your wife, and your newest addition.

what did you name her?

Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 PM

Kadence Bree Roberts is her name. She is amazing. At 15 days old she was already holding her own bottle!

Old 02-02-2010, 01:58 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats on the new baby, that is a very pretty name. I hope you get your financials worked out. I know how it is.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

X2 on the name brother. hope Mom is doin' well

is this your first?

Quick Reply: Im freakin ticked off at Northstar Collections