Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Looking at purchasing my first HD TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking at purchasing my first HD TV

So I figured it was time to step up into the world of HD TVs.

My TV downstairs (a 27" Sony) was given to me and, after replacing some components inside, it has been operating somewhat well for the past 2 years. It always has had a problem with the picture alignment. Our main TV in the living room is a regular 32" TV that has been working quite well for the past 3 years or so, but doesn't work so well with my PS3...

I will be moving the 32" down into the basement and putting the new HD TV in our living room.

I have been reading up on the LCDs and the various methods of backlighting (perimeter CCFL & LED as well as full LED). I'm looking to spend around $700 before taxes (8% here) and would like a screen in the 40-47" range (47" is about the limit for our back living room). That puts the full LED back-lit screens out of my price range, but leaves the perimeter CCFL & LED screens for the most part.

I have really been looking at Vizio and Samsung screens. I've gone around to Sears, Wal-Mart, BJs, etc and looked at a lot of different models between the two manufacturers, as well as some other manufacturers. My brother speaks highly of Vizio. So I guess, what do you guys have and what have your experiences been?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:07 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

all the reviews ive read praise sharp and samsung. if vizio is anything like insignia id stay far away.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:22 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I've had awesome luck and love my Panasonic Viera.

Good TV if you can find one in your price range.

Samsung also makes good TVs, as well as many other electronics, namely mobile phones.

Make sure you have at least 2 HDMI ports on the back of the TV as well, having to unplug the PS3 to hook up your laptop to your TV everytime isn't much fun, or if you have a satellite TV receiver hooked up through HDMI with only 1 port, you'll forever be unplugging it to plug your PS3/other component in.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:56 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Used to have a Sony LCD. Threw it out after the bulb went out for the fourth time in four years. And those bulbs aren't cheap.

Bought a Vizio while we still had the Sony and have had no problems with it at all. Even has a much better picture than the Sony.

I guess what I'm saying is don't buy a Sony!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:58 PM
deadmanet is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazinloud
all the reviews ive read praise sharp and samsung. if vizio is anything like insignia id stay far away.

I work for Wally World myself, and I see Vizio's getting returned quite a bit. Sharp has always been good, and the wife and I are still using the Samsung that she had for 2 years, and we've been together for almost 6.
Whatever you choose, you will love going to a lcd/led tv, you will notice the difference. I did.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:12 PM
IrvJr is on a distinguished road

Say no to Vizio. I have had a Samsung rear projection that worked great but was just huge. Now we have a 42" Samsung plasma in the living room and its amazing and a 32" Samsung LCD in the bedroom. So i guess im saying yes to Samsung.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

I've got an older sharp aquos lcd and it's been great. I know people who have had lower end brand lcd's that have issues and then they end up going with a larger brand in the end. I would go with a 47" since you will lose some viewing in non HD unless you use zoom. No matter what brand you go with there can be problems, but you also get what you pay for. Also once you buy it, it's gonna be old technology anyways so I wouldn't worry about it too much =)

Old 12-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well... Guess Vizio is out...

Should I even bother with getting the LED perimeter back light or is the CCFL good enough. In the ones that I have seen from Samsung, there isn't a whole lot of difference. Jumping to the full LED back-lit screens though is a huge jump in price, but they do have a more vibrant picture to them.

*EDIT* - Come to think of it, the fire department has a Vizio that has done quite well for us and is basically on all the time... I think that is one of the older models with CCFL and only 60hz refresh rates. It's 1080P as well.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Starting Member
chiefum is on a distinguished road

I had two defective samsung tv's in a row........I will never buy another samsung tv.......mine were plasma's......so I can't speak on the lcd's. I now have an LG...and couldn't be happier.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Administrator

I'll be going to another store tonight to look at a few. I'll take a look at some LG's while I'm there.

Quick Reply: Looking at purchasing my first HD TV