Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

MagicJack home phone

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:35 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough
Default MagicJack home phone

Thought I would share something really cool with you all.

I just received my "magicjack" home phone the other day. We paid $40 for it and one year of service. Your home phone plugs into it, and it plugs into a PC's USB port. Then a very simple setup and you have a new phone. They charge an extra 10 bucks for a canadian area code. This device works perfect, sound quality is just as good as our old land line was. You get UNLIMITED FREE local and long distance, NO bills in the mail, your phone number isnt listed, you get all the extras like answering machine and caller ID... Its great. After your year is up its only 20 per year, and when you first buy it you can pay 80 more for another 5 years service pre paid. How about a home phone for 6 years for 120 dollars? You can also take your magic jack with you when you go on holidays, and as long as there is a computer with boradband internet, you can hook up your home phone with the same number anywhere in the world!

This device is brand new, and phone companies had better start thinking of other ways to make money since they are going to be run out of business by this device!

Rumor also has it they are going to come out with a device that routes your cell phone calls through it, so you dont use any of your cell airtime when you are at home and within range of it! How cool would that be?

We love it, and since we always have a computer on here, its not a problem, and we moved from another province and the long distance calls to family and friends were really adding up. They say it takes up to 48 hours to be able to get incoming calls, but it only took 4 hours before it worked for incoming for us. You can make outbound calls as soon as you get your new number set up. You dont need to install anything, it sets itself up when you plug it in. All you need to do it activate it when its done installing itself which is very simple.

I reccomend this MagicJack to anyone and everyone!

No I dont work for them, I was just so happy with something that sounded too good to be true that I wanted to share with you all when I wasnt tricked into something that sounded too good!

We tried using SKYPE on the computer, but its crappy like using a walkie talkie, only one person can talk at a time. Skype is cheap too, but the quality is junk, you get what you pay for with them.

Does anyone else use this and what do you think?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:01 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

My grandparents have one as a second line. My grandpa likes it because you get to pick an area code, so he chose one from Tempe, AZ.
He lives here in Titusville. lol.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:14 PM
R3MiX is on a distinguished road

I have really been thinking of getting a magic jack. they look pretty awesome.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:19 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Meh....I work for a phone company so I can't really say yay to it lol. I don't have a land line anyway. I pay enough for my cell phone, I don't need to pay extra for another line. I'm not home much anyway, so it would be a waste of money.
Anyway...I'm still not convinced about this whole "magic jack" thing. I haven't read up much on how it works but I still don't think it will rival or come close to actual home phone service. It's just like Vonage and VOiP service. It was great from the start (and cheap), but then serious issues started to arise with it.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Starting Member
chiefum is on a distinguished road

I love mine...........I've never had one problem with it......works great! They also have an offer for 5 years for $60........I only paid 20 dollars for mine....with the one year service. But it has voice mail....caller id......way better than a land line for me.........you can't beat the price.........plus you can take it with you on vacation........it's great.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

had mine for a bout a year and a half and LOVE it!!! it has saved me soo much money. i also like the fact that you can change your phone number anytime for just $10. Phone quality wasent that great while surfing the net when i first got it but within the past year it has been EXCELENT!!!! their customer service has gotten a lot better and i would highly recommend this proudct to anyone!!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 10:22 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

What about when you are in a call and want someone else to come in. Can they just pick up the phone and start talking. Cuz I know my GF has VOiP and you can't.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

I used to have Vonage Voip service and it was great, but we dont really need it as we both have iPhones. You could pick up multiple lines and talk with no issues.
Magic Jack has actually been around for awhile. The original deal was a one time price and that was it forever! No renewals. Even in its current form it is still a great deal, and they work just fine. If I needed a home phone, second line, or home business phone line, i would get one.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:55 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Landline phones will be gone in the next decade or sooner. Magic Jack, Vonage etc are the new wave in phone service. It is only a matter of time & ALL the phone companies will be offering the same thing.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:50 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Well I highly doubt VOiP is going to take over (and I'm not just saying that because I work for the phone company). It's no where near as good as regular land lines, and no where near as reliable. Not to mention its unsecure so a lot of businesses and government/banks etc. will not be switching anytime soon.
I will admit I am a bit biased, but even still VOiP has been around for a long time, and it's not taking over anytime soon. When Vonage first released theres it was all great in the beginning, and then they started having serious security issues which is inevitable with VOiP service. Anyway, landlines are not going away anytime soon. Fibre is the way of the future, not VOiP. Stuff like FiOS is the way of the future. The ability of fibre networks is just unbelieveable. I'd say within the next decande or two EVERYTHING will be run through Fibre. That's Internet, TV and phone. It's big here in my area (our entire network is fibre) but from what I understand FiOS is just catching on in the US. There is no limit to the speed and capacity of Fibre, unlike coax.

Quick Reply: MagicJack home phone