Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

MagicJack home phone

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Starting Member
Rogue is on a distinguished road

No doubt about FiOS. The speeds are unreal and it`s full potential has not been reached yet.

Regarding MJ. Have been using it for almost a year now. My only thoughts\suggestions are. Do not use it on your primary PC unless you have the hardware resources to support it. I run it on a dedicated PC that also serves as a printer server on my 6 PC network. It can be a bit of a resource hog.
Have also found that if you only have a "basic" service package from your ISP then you may have problems. Last but not least, do`t expect miracles. What can you expect for $20 a year.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Joemakerman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sisk
Well I highly doubt VOiP is going to take over (and I'm not just saying that because I work for the phone company). It's no where near as good as regular land lines, and no where near as reliable. Not to mention its unsecure so a lot of businesses and government/banks etc. will not be switching anytime soon.
I will admit I am a bit biased, but even still VOiP has been around for a long time, and it's not taking over anytime soon. When Vonage first released theres it was all great in the beginning, and then they started having serious security issues which is inevitable with VOiP service. Anyway, landlines are not going away anytime soon. Fibre is the way of the future, not VOiP. Stuff like FiOS is the way of the future. The ability of fibre networks is just unbelieveable. I'd say within the next decande or two EVERYTHING will be run through Fibre. That's Internet, TV and phone. It's big here in my area (our entire network is fibre) but from what I understand FiOS is just catching on in the US. There is no limit to the speed and capacity of Fibre, unlike coax.
Wouldn't there be a limit of the speed of light? Which is quite a limit to have to reach, if even possible, but a limit nonetheless.

-Joe

Old 02-25-2010, 08:52 AM
ve3nsv is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ohsofly
They charge an extra 10 bucks for a canadian area code.
Where did you buy it and who did you contact for the Canadian Area Code? I was looking at them around Christmas and Canadian numbers where only available through another 3rd party service.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Ive heard some serious horror stories about the magic jack. Mainly security issues. Also stories about the company closing accounts due to over usage. Ill stick with my land line.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:39 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

We got our canadian area code when we set it up. We bought the thing online and had it shipped to grandmas house which is in Blaine WA, just across the border from is, then we picked it up when we went down there next. My womans the one who set it up, and shes not tech savy at all, she told me she had to plug in the CC number for another 10 dollars so we could have the canadian number... And now its up and running great, people are calling us on our 604 area code which is BC Canada.

As for the resource hog, my whole family has laptops on our wireless network, and our daughter never uses hers, so we use that laptop for plugging the magicjack into. I dont find it slows stuff down at all, I use UTorrent all day long, and my downloads are still kickin even though someones on the phone. We just have regular cable internet serive here, I get about 1.5mb down and 150kb up on a good day. My mom bought a new tower computer and is going to give us her old one to use as the phone station.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Starting Member
chiefum is on a distinguished road

$20 or less a year vs. land line.................I'll keep the magic jack.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Starting Member
bigjon1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Magic jack also makes a thing called jupiter jack that plugs into your phone and you can talk through your cars speakers while driving. I only paid like 10 bucks for it and for 10 bucks its pretty cool.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:37 AM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bigjon1
Magic jack also makes a thing called jupiter jack that plugs into your phone and you can talk through your cars speakers while driving. I only paid like 10 bucks for it and for 10 bucks its pretty cool.
So it works okay? (Jupiter Jack) I have been interested in trying one out. I really wish someone would exploit the OnStar system I have in my Caddy so I could use it with my iPhone. I am not gonna pay OnStar fees for the service when I have a cell phone. The JJ may work for me instead.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

I had a half thought about checking out FULL VOiP type services, but with the lack of consistency with comcast service (random internet drops, cable drops, bandwidth overload through the main node*NOT because of me*, bad node in general and their FAILURE to properly fix it) I mean it took them 3yrs to get things working TOP NOTCH as i expect.

I then gave up on a voip style setup and even eliminated my comcast Digital Voice due to having a full time cell, afterall the calls I get im usually out of the house so a cell phone is and will stay the way for me and my family.

Comcast just recently started pushing their fibre services, and AFAIK they have succesfully converted areas around me to complete fibre setups.. IM happy with my UL/DL speeds and general surfing ability, but I wouldnt mind fibre speed either lol

Old 02-25-2010, 11:43 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

For the everyday user VOiP is probably good enough. If you're only using for a home phone and don't care about security or anyone else hearing your calls then it's definitely worth the savings. I mean you can't beat $20/yr. It is for this reason though that VOiP will never progress and succeed over regular landlines. Security is the biggest issue.
We have 15mb up/1mb down in my area right now with the Fibre. It's no where even remotely close to it's limit either. I've heard rumors of us upping the speed to 50mb upload in the near future and I understand our VP is pushing for 100mb upload very soon too. Not sure how long it will take to actually see these speeds, but they are on the way.
They're also getting into Fibre right into the home lately. It's extremely expensive, but the speeds are just unreal. Instead of Fibre to the pole and using a node to convert it to coax they are putting it directly to the modem, which means there really is no limit to speed.