Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

No help on other forums

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:02 PM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No help on other forums

So after searching over many forums, I am hoping that someone on here can help. My wife has a 04 Dodge Stratus with the 2.7 v6 and auto trans. The problem is that when she starts the car to defrost the windows the air is coming out cold. As soon as she starts to drive, the air becomes warm and functions properly. Is this possibly something to do with the heater core? I am stumped. My blazer had a similar problem, but my heat didn't work period. And that was do to a clog in my cooling system. Any help folks is going to make this issue easier to tackle as winter is upon us.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:11 PM
djdrew010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: No help on other forums

What's the average temp outside? Maybe the engine just isn't warming up enough sitting there to defrost the windows? I'm just throwing some ideas out, I may be totally wrong.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:27 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Its not that cold in NC these days...

How's the engine temp after she starts driving? Normal zone? If her thermostat is failed open, its possible its just keeping everything cold till you start building heat.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:42 PM

It was 30s this morning. She is going to check the temps tomorrow and i will update. She said that its blowing cold at idleand by the end of the block its hot. So I need to look into it more. I need to get it figured out soon, because she has to drive our 5 month old around in the mornings and its getting frosty out.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:53 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

How long is she letting the car warmup? Have you checked the level of the antifreeze? if shes not letting it warm up enuff and then putting the defrost on its def not gonna work right away, the thermo has to reach its temp first b4 letting the heated fluid thru the system. If shes letting it run for say15 minutes or so then it should be hot by then,, if not i`d go ahead and replace the thermo...

Old 10-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How long are you letting it warm up for? At idle, it takes a bit longer to warm up than when driving...

Alittle late... damn hands...

Old 10-28-2008, 09:06 PM

It is idling for 5 to 10 min and its like the a/c is blowing until she starts driving. How tough is thermostat and what about the cost?

Old 10-28-2008, 09:12 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

ive never worked on a stratus, and wouldnt know cost either sorry.. if you do it yourself i`m sure its not too exp...Shops near me for labor are around 90$

Old 10-28-2008, 09:25 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Ya it all depends where it is.

Will just follow the big radiator hoses...it should be on the side or the top of the block.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:41 PM
djdrew010 is an unknown quantity at this point

The thermostat is located on the front of the engine (radiator side) in the thermostat housing/coolant outlet connector. Basically you have a pressure cap then coolant outlet connector and the thermostat housing is below that.

Quick Reply: No help on other forums