Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

No idea what to do.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:50 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about
Default No idea what to do.....

When an co-worker opened my W2.

I work part time at a company just on Sundays, and I took last sunday off, so today was my reunion after a "two week break" and I ask my supervisor a question and she says "you left these on my desk, opened" and I grab them and walk back to my desk, I messaged her, "This is my W2, and I didnt open it, isnt that a federal offense?"

So what would you do in that situation, I have no idea WHO opened, how long it was opened and what not.... It only has my earnings, employee tax id, and my ss.... Enough information to steal my identity if I am correct....

I was going to call HR tomorrow and let them know I was upset, but idk what to say other than what happened, or even what to expect.... I would hate to just get shrugged off, but then again, I do not wanna be "that guy"......
What to do?

Old 01-23-2011, 10:05 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

I dunno man. I would confront her hardcore about it. Is there cameras there?

Old 01-23-2011, 10:18 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by cochran07
I dunno man. I would confront her hardcore about it. Is there cameras there?
I don't think it was her, because she isn't that stupid... but there are people there that I wouldnt put it past to read my stuff...(stuff inserted for sake of being polite)

Old 01-23-2011, 10:30 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

if it bothers you, don't roll over on it. F being "that guy". better to cry and have it know you care and are following up (makes me less likely to move on stealing you tax return) then have you kick back and take it now, only to take it worse later. it's your employers fault. i believe they are required to mail it or hand it over DIRECTLY not just leave it lying around due to it's sensative nature. looky looky, you might have something here

set a fraud alert on your self through each of the credit agencies (i think there are 3). it costs $10 per, but it lasts for a year. Worst case scenario it will buy you some time, best case it catches anything crazy.

Call the IRS (yes you can) and see if anyone has submitted anything on your behalf. file your taxes asap online and take the direct deposit offering...

GL bro.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:35 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Will... I would make a paper trail, cover your ***!
1st off someone went through "stuff" they shouldn't have.
Yes they can "steal an ID with that info"
You're a good person, doing a good job at work, make sure you have paperwork/emails to back your *** up!
Trust me, it always pays off!

Old 01-23-2011, 11:08 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree man. F being that guy when it comes to your money. We all work to damn hard fro it to be stollen.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:59 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ABN31B
if it bothers you, don't roll over on it. F being "that guy". better to cry and have it know you care and are following up (makes me less likely to move on stealing you tax return) then have you kick back and take it now, only to take it worse later. it's your employers fault. i believe they are required to mail it or hand it over DIRECTLY not just leave it lying around due to it's sensative nature. looky looky, you might have something here

set a fraud alert on your self through each of the credit agencies (i think there are 3). it costs $10 per, but it lasts for a year. Worst case scenario it will buy you some time, best case it catches anything crazy.

Call the IRS (yes you can) and see if anyone has submitted anything on your behalf. file your taxes asap online and take the direct deposit offering...

GL bro.
Originally Posted by Rottidog
Will... I would make a paper trail, cover your ***!
1st off someone went through "stuff" they shouldn't have.
Yes they can "steal an ID with that info"
You're a good person, doing a good job at work, make sure you have paperwork/emails to back your *** up!
Trust me, it always pays off!
Yup I also agree.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:23 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Best is to report it to your HR department. Just not in an agressive manner. Nobody responds well to that. They need to know - even from a company perspective - that their systems are open to abuse. From this they will either try to investigate (but I doubt they'll find out anything after this time), or upgrade their policies & proceedures. At the same time, management will be alerted to be on the lookout for suspicious behaviour / individuals. The last thing any business needs is someone snooping around - if the "individual/s" are looking at fellow employees information, then what confidential company info is being compromised. I doubt the bosses will brush this off lightly.

When I worked in London, employee payslips were mailed to their home address - no exceptions. You could not even arrange to collect it from HR.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:25 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by kiwiblazer
The last thing any business needs is someone snooping around - if the "individual/s" are looking at fellow employees information, then what confidential company info is being compromised. I doubt the bosses will brush this off lightly.
We recently went to a "no recording/electronic device" policy where I can no longer have my cellphone on, on my person, all devices must be turned off because some smart person took a picture of their computer screen to show someone what they did at work... with a customers information....

They found out about it because the person posted it on facebook, oh wait, this person didnt think they did anything wrong by showing all their friends a customers private information.... lol.... but it sucks now because no more texting in the downtime....

Old 01-24-2011, 01:18 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kiwiblazer
Best is to report it to your HR department. Just not in an agressive manner. Nobody responds well to that. They need to know - even from a company perspective - that their systems are open to abuse. From this they will either try to investigate (but I doubt they'll find out anything after this time), or upgrade their policies & proceedures. At the same time, management will be alerted to be on the lookout for suspicious behaviour / individuals. The last thing any business needs is someone snooping around - if the "individual/s" are looking at fellow employees information, then what confidential company info is being compromised. I doubt the bosses will brush this off lightly.

When I worked in London, employee payslips were mailed to their home address - no exceptions. You could not even arrange to collect it from HR.
Good advice right here.

It could have also been handed to another employee mistakenly and said employee returned it back to the boss upon finding out it was not there. Not all people in the world are out to rob everyone blind. Could have been an honest mistake by whoever was handing out the W-2's and returned by an honest employee.

Regardless, do what Kiwi suggested.

Quick Reply: No idea what to do.....