Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Propane power.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road
Default Propane power.

I've seen some of the folk here going with propane. Especially in the U.K. because of the taxes there. A word to the wise, if you're running propane, make sure your antifreeze is up to snuff. Change it every two to three years and make sure it is good to -35 degrees or lower. It makes no difference what temperature scale you use as F and C meet right about there. Propane has a vapor point of -30 degrees or so. If your antifreeze is only good to -20, it usually won't bust a block in the winter but your propane vaproizer will freeze solid. You will then be sitting until it thaws out.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:40 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I am confused?

Old 06-08-2013, 05:32 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

a buddy of my brothers was building a big hp engine to run on propane
claims that propane has a higher octane

I worked at a propane filling station years ago
Most guys ran dual fuel , in winter they started on gasoline then switch over to propane after it started heating up

Old 06-09-2013, 01:02 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by richphotos
I am confused?

One new member here is in the U.K. Petrol (gasoline) there runs around $8 per gallon so a lot of folks run straight propane. Running dual fuel gets around the freeze up problems with weak antifreeze but if you're just running propane only, you can't let your fuel vaporizer freeze up or you won't be going anywhere.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:43 AM
redcruiser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
One new member here is in the U.K. Petrol (gasoline) there runs around $8 per gallon so a lot of folks run straight propane. Running dual fuel gets around the freeze up problems with weak antifreeze but if you're just running propane only, you can't let your fuel vaporizer freeze up or you won't be going anywhere.
Been running propane (LPG) over here in the UK for about 5 years now with no icing problems, then of course we don't have very cold winters like some of you.
The vaporizer is connected into the engine cooling system so soon warms up, we start on petrol then it switches over automatically when engine warms up, usually not more than 5 minutes. Certainly makes running a big engine slightly more economic here. Got to get mine checked over though, Failed our yearly MOT on emissions on the LPG (high HC's) but passed on petrol. Did pull up next to a big Ford fun mover RV the other day and that had an LPG conversion.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by rexazz2
a buddy of my brothers was building a big hp engine to run on propane
claims that propane has a higher octane

I worked at a propane filling station years ago
Most guys ran dual fuel , in winter they started on gasoline then switch over to propane after it started heating up

I'm not sure what the octane rating on propane is. All octane is, is how resistant to knocking (pre-ignition) the fuel is. As for power inherent in it, it has a lower BTU rating than gasoline. That means it will use more to create the same amount of power.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:02 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I'm not sure what the octane rating on propane is. All octane is, is how resistant to knocking (pre-ignition) the fuel is. As for power inherent in it, it has a lower BTU rating than gasoline. That means it will use more to create the same amount of power.
with that higher octane you can raise the compression ratio ??