Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

The RC thread (Radio Control)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:17 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough
Default The RC thread (Radio Control)

I figured probably alot of us have RC toys for us, or our kids, etc, and a thread to share what we got, whats good/bad and stuff like that would be great.

I wanted to share my new toy with you all... This is what I went and bought when I had a big blowout at home the other weekend ... Ive driven these things my whole life, but only had electric ones, and never a monster truck... The way I look at it, its better to break the 5 dollar control arm on my RC truck than it is to break the 500 dollar control arm on my new truck doing the same things.

$549 - Traxxis Revo 3.3 - 1/10 scale - Monster truck - red body (black, blue, green, red are the colors it comes)

The engine is tiny. I already had it apart, and imagine cutting your pinky (ladies your thumb) off right above the fingernail.. That little cylinder of flesh would fit inside the cylinder on the engine. And it makes 2.5HP according to the man at the hobbyshop. He said it tachs like 13k and can run there all day as long as air is moving over the engine. It will throw gravel off all 4 wheels really good when you punch it in the loose stuff, and you can put it into a spin on pavement and smoke tires. Thie engine is 3.3cc in size, its a 2 stroke with a glowpulg and reed valves like a dritbike, bore and stroke looked to be a little over 1cm, maybe 5/8 inch or so. The fuel is 20% nitromethane, the rest is methanol and some lubricants. It burns with very little blue flame if poured on sidewalk and lit, I was curious. The smell TOTALLY reminds me of watching top fuel dragsters or funnycars at the racetrack, and sweet smell.

This sucker has sealed CV axles, full tim 4wd, fully adjustable ride height and suspention dampers, auto electronic shift into 2nd gear (which is like 60-85 kmph!), electronic shift into reverse, electric start, 150ml fuel (8-10 min hard bagging or 20 min of easy play), and all the electronics are sealed up and "water resistant" - I have played it in the snow tons, it loves snow actually.

If I break anything I can just go get a new part at the hobby shop for a few bucks, and there is tons of aftermarket stuff for them online. Some guys even have superchargers and NO2 kits on them. Those guys trucks are just squirrely and probably not that fun to drive anymore though, but tres cool nonetheless.

Youtube has guys jumping them over their houses, so yeah, they can take huge jumps no prob. Ive jumped mine a good 10-12 vertical feet and nose landed it, it bounced around and landed on its wheels and I drove away. Nothing broke. My kid bro broke a strut ($12 fix) hitting an electrical box with one side and a real good clip. He also broke a control arm ($5) another time. Watch some vids if you are interested.

Cool things:
Very fun to drive
Very fast
Cheap parts
Big aftermarket
You can adjust anything you like on it
not many poeple have them
you can chase cars on your front street no prob!
you could run down a rabbit if your reflexes are fast enough
will probably spank your blazer on an 1/8mi run

Crappy things:
$549 price tag
$35/gal for average fuel
$50/gal for racing fuel
you wish it held more fuel at a time
everyone wants to try it
electric start is no "remote" start, you carry the battery for the starter in your pocket, not inside the truckbody.

Anyhow, here is how she sits ready to go.

And I just had to get this part since I have some paint to make it match my new truck A newest body style silverado xcab.

There is totally a k5 blazer clear body there too. I think I might paint that one someday like that member here with the california style white/beige k5.

Last edited by ohsofly; 01-14-2012 at 07:32 PM.