Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Recharging A/C...??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 07:46 PM
jennikz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recharging A/C...??

Hey Guys,

It's been awhile since I've posted on here and I don't even know if I'm posting this in the right place or not but...

I just recently bought a 96 Chevy Silverado, and the A/C needs recharged. Has anyone used those cans of the 134 refrigerant stuff you can buy at AutoZone to recharge their A/C? I'd really like to get it working but I need some advice on what to do!

How many cans of that would I need? The A/C is totally DEAD......

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks much!!!

Old 07-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha, easiest thing you can do! I swear! You'll need a gauge that measures the pressure in your system and a few cans of R-143a. You can buy a kit that has everything you need in it already. It's called a recharge and retrofit kit. It has the gauge and 3 cans of refrigerant. All you do connect the gauge to the low side of your system (the only nozzle that the gauge fits on!! you can't mess it up!) and add a couple cans of refrigerant to it (with A/C on max + engine running) until the compressor turns on and stays on. and the gauge that comes with the kit shows when to stop. If you get the kit, it has all the directions you'll need.
http://www.id-usa.com/product.asp?PID=24
That site has all the instructions and such also if you want to just buy the gauge and refrigerant seperate, but I think the kit may be cheaper. I got mine for about $45.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:31 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

All I can say is if the system is out of freon there is a leak somewhere. Charging the system might work for an hour or a few months. If the system is completely empty then it should be evacuated with a vacuum pump. But the leak needs to be fixed first. Or is it empty? Could a switch be bad? Is the clutch bad?
If you are not up on A/C units I suggest taking it to a shop & have it looked at. It very well could be cheaper. I'm an ASE certified A/C tech, along with a Type I & II EPA certification.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:26 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

4x4blazerguy is probably right in that the system may have a leak. I would go ahead and charge it up anyways just to see how long it will last but odds are that you will have to address the "leak".