Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Recommend me an Air Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:07 AM
porkfriedrice is on a distinguished road
Default Recommend me an Air Compressor

Can anyone recommend a good entry-level air compressor? I don't need anything huge, just something for some possible air tools, filling tires, and also to use with this: http://www.harborfreight.com/air-va...tors-96677.html

I need to do some A/C work on my truck, and didn't see the point of spending one hundred dollars on a single-use tool. Fourteen ninety-nine is pretty good and it got decent reviews. I realize I have to get the gauges, too. I have read mixed reviews on the Craftsman compressor models. What size do you think I should get? Are the Lowe's/Home Depot models any good? Thanks.

Last edited by porkfriedrice; 05-29-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:48 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

The two things to consider with any air compressor is air deliever at what pressure. You need at least 8 CFM @ 90 psi for basic air tools. The more CFM the better especially if you ever want to do any sanding, painting, blasting. Next you need to decide on how much you want to spend. Direct drive (Oil Free Compressors) are less expensive than Oil lubricated compressors that have a seperate motor and pump driven by a belt. Then the last question is do you have 115v or 220v power availible. If your looking for best bang for the buck Harbor Freight will probally suit you. If you want a more reliable compressor check out what Sears, Home Depot & Lowes have for sale. A 115V Oil Free Compressor with a 15 Gallon tank should suit you just fine. I have a 20 year old 220v, 4 HP, 20 Gallon tank oil lubricated craftsman that I put on a Northern tool replacement pump that puts out about 13 CFM viice 8 CFM at 90 PSI.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...acement-51983/

Last edited by mr.vls; 05-29-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:29 AM

Hey thanks for the advice! Honestly, I am not so much concerned with price as much as I am buying something quality without going overboard, ie buying way too much for what I will use it for. The house I recently bought has a really nice garage/shop that the previouse owner fixed up with a seperate 100 amp sub-panel with a 30 amp 220 volt hook up specifically for a compressor. I am not sure if I need something that would require all that power, but that's why I'm asking. I have read that the oil-free units are a little more noisy, so I think I would lean towards the oil compressors.
So the Harbor Freight compressors are more "cheap" than something from a retail store? Good info all around, Mr.vls.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:53 AM

The Oil Lubricated Compressors are quiter and last longer. A 220V compressor will use less power over all. I would also check out Northern Industrial Tool to see what they have. The tanks size will determine cycle times. Most 5 HP Compressors will have a 30 gallon tank.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:23 AM

So no specific brand is better than another? I don't think I would be using it enough to have power consumption be an issue. So an oil-lubricated unit with at least 8 cubic feet per minute at 90 psi is what I should be looking for? Like I said, I don't need anything crazy, just quality and enough juice to power the things I said previously. Thanks!!

Old 05-29-2011, 04:51 AM

I would say that would be the very min. My old craftsman did everthing I wanted it to for most of its life. I think the difficulty will be finding a smaller sized Oil Lubricated compressor due to the fact that the lower end of the market is dominated by direct drive compressors.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:38 PM

I'm not really afraid to spend the money as long as it is a quality machine. I don't want just any piece of junk, but spending $1000 on a machine I will never fully utilize makes no sense. Any opinions on this:
Shop Kobalt 1.6 HP 30-Gallon 155 PSI Electric Air Compressor at Lowes.com

I have heard that you need a lot of air to run that vacuum pump I wanted to use with the compressor. Would a model like this have enough juice?

Old 05-30-2011, 06:09 AM

It should be just fine for what you want it to do. Impact guns and ratchets do not use a lot of CFM and the tank size is large enough so you will be able to run most tools for a while before the tank empties and the compressor cycles on. It will be good for airing up tires and inflatables as well.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:45 AM

Okay, thanks for the help!