Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Road Trip Help Attn: FL, GA, SC, TN Members

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Starting Member
kevlar974 is on a distinguished road
Default Road Trip Help Attn: FL, GA, SC, TN Members

I am going on a little trip later this month to visit my brother, and see my 2mo. old neice for the first time.
I have a 3 year old son and would like to break up the trip by stopping every 200 miles or so.
I won't be staying at any of these stops for more than a 1/2 hr.
Basically I will be going from Orlando FL to Bristol TN using I-95 and I-26.
What I am looking for is parks or points of intrest where he can get out and run around and burn off some energy.
Thank you for any suggestions.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:57 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

O boy thats some trip I dont know those areas but i wish you luck and be safe

Old 09-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Starting Member

Bump
Leaving in a few weeks still looking for good ideas

Old 09-08-2011, 10:11 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

I looked at the trip route I95 and I26 and couldn't really find anything close. I know it's not the best place to check out, but rest stops every once in a while are good, and you can always stop in to some cities like Jacksonville, Savanna,Ga and Columbia, SC on the way there to grab a bite to eat or such.

Last edited by cbr995; 09-08-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:05 PM
gatorboy44 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Hey hit up Dollywood in Sevierville! Coming from Florida you have to pass it to get to Bristol. (I know this because I am from Florida and now live in TN) It's a good child friendly theme park.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Starting Member

Postponed trip till Oct. my son has shingles and we don't want to give my brothers 3 mon. old chickenpox.
I have found some intresting stops and will post my opinion of them and any good food stops for you roadtrippers.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Beginning Member
RR3S10Blazer is on a distinguished road

I used to run 95 from Miami to Jacksonville a couple times a week in my old '86 Monte Carlo SS (what a great highway car) anyway that stretch of 95 heading out of Florida is pretty boring but here goes my suggestions. I have personally done these stops with my wife and my lil girl, when she was your sons age.

Option A:Stop at the track (Daytona International) no need to spend any money, do any touring or tourist stuff unless you want to. We are big racing fans and just being at the track and knowing the heritage is just cool to me. There is usually a car on display in front of store in the main parking lot, it's a good time to snap a pic of your son in front of a race car, Earnhardt's statue and a famous racetrack. Let the kids run a lil, let Mamma grab a t-shirt, drink or just snap some pics and head back out to 95N.
Option B Right down the street from the track, if racing isn't your families thing, is Daytona Beach. Once again no money or touring just a stop for 30 mins take in the Ocean and you have to drive on the beach. Once again let kids run around and hang with Mamma and your Chevrolet right on the Atlantic. One of the few beaches you can actually drive on legally. Down side of this stop is no matter how hard you try the kids will bring sand into the truck but if your families like mine they will do their best and the truck won't mind. Mama can clean the kids up while your getting down the road and you can vacuum truck later when you stop at the Hotel. When you get back on 95N its an excellent time for everybody to fall asleep while you get some miles under you, lol

Next stop: St Augustine North on 95 150 miles or so, It's an old beautiful lil town. They have some tourist stops for "fountain of youth" and historical landmarks since I'm pretty sure it's the oldest city in the USA, not positive but pretty sure. Lots of free city parks to stop at stretch your legs and let the kids play on the playgrounds. Just a cool old city.

My last suggestion There's a little beach city called Fernandina Beach. I don't remember how far off 95 it is but it's not like swinging through Daytona or St Augustine. Check the Google maps before you run out there. It's an old RR stop from the early 1900's when The Flagler RR used to run to Key West. They have couple old RR cars in town set up to check out. Kids love trains and I think adults do too?lol I stayed here one night. There is an old Historical Bed & Breakfast in town, it is awesome. Fireplaces in the rooms, beds that just swallow you up and they feed you and the kids just like you would expect in the South. I can't remember the name of it but it's the only one in town and on the main drag. It's a lil far just to stop and stretch your legs but I definitively suggest if you guys have the time and want to see an old Oceanside RR town from turn of the century.

I hope these 3 stops help. Sorry if long winded, I love traveling and I get a bit carried away.

I read your postponed till Oct. All I can say is it doesn't matter when you go just GO!

See the USA in your Chevrolet and have a great time.

Thanks for the opportunity to post, I'm a new member and trying to get to know everybody.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Starting Member

RR3s10blazer thanks for the suggestions I've never been to fernadina beach I will add it to my to do list if not on this trip maybe on a weekend trip.
I love traveling too.
When I got lasik on my eyes I took a week off and just drove about 1000 miles a day randomly exploring from Florida to Nebraska up through the U.P. of Michigan and back