Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

rockauto problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:14 PM
John OMalley is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by don james
I ordered my spider assembly and gaskets from rockauto and they would not take my bank card or credit card.........I had to fill out a security page and put in a password......that didn't work either........called my bank.....they said it was a rock auto problem.......I called RA ,,,,,,they said it was a visa problem.....called visa.........well hell.....I just canceled my order and went to amazon......they were glad to get my money .....

anyone else having problems with RA......??
I just ordered a few parts from RockAuto and I had no problem at all I don't know that was about a week or two ago using Visa. Maybe they were having a computer glitch

Old 08-30-2017, 07:58 PM
Beginning Member
JTWard is on a distinguished road

Yeah, It could be. I ordered 2 new Throttle body's, they were going to take too long, despite my request to send them Fedex so I canceled the ordered, A day later I see that my bank statement has them charging me the $118.26, but also adding another $118.26. I called Paypal, they were going to work on it but I had it with the whole deal. Plus I bounced one of the $118.26 and I had to scramble to get money out of a second bank account to cover the bounced monies. I told the paypal and you'll see the one order was duplicated into two and it still took 3 days to settle it. Luckily my back is good and I've been a customer for the last 16 years, so they removed the bounce check fee's. But Rockauto.com needs to develop some customer service . They have a phone number but no one answers it ?

Last edited by JTWard; 08-30-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:41 PM
Starting Member
don james is on a distinguished road

Rock auto is nothing more then a mini amazon selling car parts.......I like their site and stuff is easy to find....but you better know what you want...because you can't find anyone to answer any questions about the specific parts......I was informed by one of the many RA associates, that they only sell parts...they aren't mechanics...

so that pretty much sums that part up.........I haven't ordered anything from them since, so i don't know if it was a personal thing with my cards or a computer glitch........

I think my credit numbers are in the 790's........that's pretty good I think??

Maybe i will try good old summit next time???.........

It is a godsend that we can all get together on these forums to voice our opinions...pointers and advice......

Old 08-31-2017, 05:58 AM
Beginning Member

I've used them about 50 to 75 times. You can get just what you need, but once you put you order in that's it. Thay have a return service, but no real soul to about anything. But still a great place to get pats for these 25 year old trucks !

Old 08-31-2017, 06:52 AM
Starting Member
don james is on a distinguished road

"No real soul"

that's a very good explanation as to how they work.............:-)

Old 08-31-2017, 04:14 PM
Starting Member
rxjimmy is on a distinguished road

This is the age of a "non-soul" marketplace. The internet has done that to us. We might as well embrace it for what it is.

I've used RA for identifying parts made from unobtanium. Consider a master cylinder rebuild kit for a 1974 Cushman Truckster. It turns out to be the same as a 1957 Hudson Hornet. 2 days later, it is on my doorstep. Try finding that on the shelf at your local auto parts store. Or the M/C cap that is from a trailer with a Titan surge brake. If one is persistent, the data at RA will generally point you in the right direction.

The big paper catalog at the local auto parts house is gone. Just a computer at the desk run by, most of the time run by a minimum wage clerk with no auto experience. They can't do much for you beyond you having a make/model/year, and the part name you are after. Pretty much the same as me sitting at home on my computer without the middle man.

I once had a problem with a rebuilt steering rack for my PT Cruiser that I bought from R/A. The mfgr's paperwork said they would not honor any returns where the hydraulic ports were destroyed. Well, the first time I applied any tightening torque, it stripped. R/A easily accepted my return. complete with shipping charges 2-ways.

They have my business whenever they are competitive. Sometimes Amazon.com beats their prices. But I have many R/A magnets around my fridge and tool chest.

Last edited by rxjimmy; 08-31-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:31 PM
Beginning Member

OH right on, Rockauto has it's merits for sure. They even carry parts for my 28 year old Blazer, which a major benefit on it's self. If they had a phone number to handle a cancellation or change to your order. But you can't find a better parts vendor.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:42 PM
Starting Member
rxjimmy is on a distinguished road
Smile

Originally Posted by JTWard
OH right on, Rockauto has it's merits for sure. They even carry parts for my 28 year old Blazer, which a major benefit on it's self. If they had a phone number to handle a cancellation or change to your order. But you can't find a better parts vendor.
You mean like this phone number that I receive in every order confirmation? It's the one that I have circled.

Attached Thumbnails rockauto problems-ra.jpg  
Old 08-31-2017, 07:48 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I just order, not 5 minutes ago, a heater core for a '72 Chevy K20. No problems with my card as I've never had any problems ordering from RA. Should be here in 2-6 days.

I've used RA when I'm in no hurry for parts. If I need it now then I get online and find it in one of the chain auto parts stores to make sure they have it in stock. I don't quite trust the person behind the counter for reasons mentioned above, though once in a while there is someone back there that has been turning wrenches longer than me. Always nice when that happens.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:22 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by rxjimmy
This is the age of a "non-soul" marketplace. The internet has done that to us. We might as well embrace it for what it is.

I've used RA for identifying parts made from unobtanium. Consider a master cylinder rebuild kit for a 1974 Cushman Truckster. It turns out to be the same as a 1957 Hudson Hornet. 2 days later, it is on my doorstep. Try finding that on the shelf at your local auto parts store. Or the M/C cap that is from a trailer with a Titan surge brake. If one is persistent, the data at RA will generally point you in the right direction.

The big paper catalog at the local auto parts house is gone. Just a computer at the desk run by, most of the time run by a minimum wage clerk with no auto experience. They can't do much for you beyond you having a make/model/year, and the part name you are after. Pretty much the same as me sitting at home on my computer without the middle man.

I once had a problem with a rebuilt steering rack for my PT Cruiser that I bought from R/A. The mfgr's paperwork said they would not honor any returns where the hydraulic ports were destroyed. Well, the first time I applied any tightening torque, it stripped. R/A easily accepted my return. complete with shipping charges 2-ways.

They have my business whenever they are competitive. Sometimes Amazon.com beats their prices. But I have many R/A magnets around my fridge and tool chest.

The paper catalogs aren't gone. They're behind the counters at Oreillys, for example. Commercial gets new mags constanly to replace the ones in the 6 foot long stack on the counter at the commercial accts.

Likely, like everything, the monkeys at the counter don't know how to use them and dont care to learn. Thus, they aren't going to be getting them out any time soon. More times than not, if they don't find it in their initial search, they'll just tell you they don't have it rather than even take the time to search the computer. The info is there, also. You just have to know how to use it and where to look. And be willing to do so.

Believe me, they're still there.

Last edited by midnightbluS10; 10-22-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: rockauto problems