Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Runaway engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:51 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road
Default Runaway engine

So fellas. My day was pretty interesting. I got to watch a water pump engine runaway on us! That sucker revved up real loud and started spitting out a nice black smoke and next thing you know- BOOOM! The hand pull crank broke into about 20 pieces and went flyin all over the place! My shop took a little damage, but for the most part everyone was safe. One guy got hit in the shoulder by a piece, but he's doing ok. Just gave him a bad scratch and a really nasty bruise. On to the good part-pictures!

Here's a side view of the pump afterwards

That silver part used to have a green air-cooling fan and a pull-string pulley on top of it.

This is the ceiling directly above the pump. Those lines are oil lines going to the drop-downs.

That dark piece is a piece of housing that went flying!

As you can see in an earlier picture, this is a gash that was left by a flying chunk of steel.

This is the piece of metal that hit the oil line on the ceiling

This is that housing I pointed out earlier

Old 05-05-2009, 04:58 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Bet that was exciting! Got so angry at one of those trash pumps once used starting fluid to get it running while I was messing with it. Well the "boys" saw me doing that and when it would start in the field.....way too much "ether"=thrown rods. Right through the block. What a waste.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:02 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

We had it slated for DRMO(junkyard) originally, and then our new E-6 thought he'd pull it off the DRMO list and get it runnin. He got it runnin alright! It eventually got so hot that it heated up and as soon as it did:

Me:So...can we DRMO it now?
Him:Yea!

hahaha!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:51 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

It is fun to play with the ones that are ready for scrap. The one the "boys" blew still had life in it.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. Glad no one was hurt too badly when that flywheel let go!