Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

The Shaving Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 09:08 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough
Default The Shaving Thread

I thought I would share a money saver that Ive been using for over a year now. Im a hairy man, and I use alot of razors. I like the Gilette Sonsor blades, and a pack of 10 is around 18-22 dollars. I used to only get one good shave, and then a couple crappy ones out of each razor and like most I figured it was "Dull" blades... Little did I know that its not.

Razor blades are stainless steel, and thus dont rust, and there is no skin or hair on earth that will take the edge off. Its actually dried skin particles on the blades that make you think the blades are dull.

This blade is over 6 months old, and shaves my face 3-4 times a week for the last 6 months. The secret is to keep the blades wet so the crud cant dry onto them and make it pull and scratch.

I use dish soap with water 50/50 so its not so thick, once a month I add a little water to it. Any liquid hand soap will work too, some people even use some sort of cooking oil or castor oil, but the soap works for me.

Attached Thumbnails The Shaving Thread-1510996_10153654892785128_2018193651_n.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 09:59 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I need to find me something, I got a thick beard, with thick hair, and sensitive skin, so I get irritated easily.
I have tried just about every damn thing out there. I cant even imagine using the same blade for 6 months.

I have to see if we have those in the US.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Who woulda thunk? I refuse to pay that kind of money for blades and usually get the El cheapo ones. Like you said, they work for a couple of days, then it feels like they pull more whiskers out by the roots, than they actually cut! I'm gonna try it! Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails The Shaving Thread-tatoooftheyear_zps171b56ae.jpg  

Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-01-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I haven't shaved since September lol!! I can't grow facial hair to save my life

Old 01-01-2014, 10:46 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Theres also this place called dollarshave.com that I hear on the XM radio alot too...

The the razors in soap works for me.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:05 AM
smaiwald is on a distinguished road

I've been using a double edged safety razor for a while now. The upfront cost can be a little steep but once the razor brush and saving cream are aquired blades are as little as $0.5 each.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:50 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Good idea as I have used a 20 horse power screw compressor set at 175 psi to blow that dead stuff out of the blades. If I only have known the soap trick I could have a saved a bunch of money!

Old 01-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Beginning Member
jtorlando25 is on a distinguished road

I haven't shaved all year

Old 01-02-2014, 03:31 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Definitely going to try this too, although I just shave around the sides and my neck. I've got a heavy goatee going for the winter. It's about 4" long so far, and helps keep the face warm when I'm out shovelling in -30* weather.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:34 PM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

Good idea I'm gonna give it a try too! I have also been pondering on the Double Edge Safety Razor.

Quick Reply: The Shaving Thread