Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Should I fight this ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:19 AM
matt92 is on a distinguished road
Default Should I fight this ticket?

got a $166 dollar ticket for "careless driving". I was driving, and there were 2 lanes over to the right of me, and had to make a quick decision, so i switched over to the 3rd one, and resulted in a ticket. The cop said, "there couldve been motorcycles behind the bus you passed and may not have seen them".

Should I take this thing to court, and if so, what are some tips?

Old 01-30-2011, 12:26 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

My only experience with fighting a ticket is other soldiers that think they can get dressed in your Class A's with all the trimmings in order to go to the court that is a long way from any military installation, and hope that the judge throws you some pitty do to all of the 'shineys' on you and how cool you look... :icon_patriotic: it works more often than not, but seems a little... crass.

I have never fought a ticket mostly because it's a crapshoot. The chances of walking after having it tossed out becasue the cop didn't show are MUCH slimmer now that states are counting more heavily on that $ for things in their area...
Worst case scenario, you will be berated by the judge and made to pay the fine and court fees.

For the few tickets I have been given (2 or 3 speeding fines) i have just ponied up the bills and moved on in life.

in your case there should be a driver's improvement class you can go to (in addition to paying the fine) that will keep those points from counting against you license. it should also shield your insurance.

If you do fight it, lose the piercings, super glue the gauged earlobes, cover the tattoos, dress with some class, but not flashy, and be respectful at all times, even if talked down to. If you are granted a chance to explain your side, do so in a calm and linear fashion. Don't church it up any, and dont glamorize your actions or decisions. get right with God, and hope for the best.

Last edited by ABN31B; 01-30-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Beginning Member
n4cerr is on a distinguished road

Most likely you will get stuck paying for it but you can show up and hope that the police officer doesn't show. They generally have all of their tickets slated for the same day so as the previous poster said, it will be a slim chance that he does not show up. The judge generally takes the word of the officer over you but you can explain the circumstances and hope. Was there actually motorcycles behind the bus? If the officer was just saying that as a hypothetical thing then you might get it tossed but most likely you will be out the $166, the gas money, and time spent.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:03 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

Check the ticket and the section you are being charged with, then look up the HTA and see what exactly you are being charged with. sometimes cops have charged with the wrong section.

What was the reason for having to make a quick decision and dart across a few lanes? and did you signal? $166 is not that expensive for a ticket, but worst case scenario if you did not signal you could always fight "yes i had to make a quick decision because of " XXXX", i do not believe this constitues careless driving however i do admit to breaking the law in failure to signal, given the situation signalling came second to avoiding whatever it was in your way".
In my s15 i was charged with having covered headlights (shades over them). i took it to court (1.5 years later was the court date). they asked if i was pleading guilty or not guilty, i said, neither, i contest that i am being charged with something that is not restricted in the HTA - i was charged with a section stating "failure to have proper equipment". there was nothing in the HTA regarding covered headlights, the only things close were a required brightness of headlights (luckily this was during the day and so it did not apply) and the only other thing that could have applied was if it was looking at not having daytime running lamps. My s15 was an 88, it was not until 89 that law was passed requiring daytime running lamps so i was clear on that one, although if it was an 89 or newer i could have contested my parking lamps which were uncovered would be DRL's......the majestrate said to me" oh...ok i will have to check with the officer, so i sat down they called the officer over it, talked about it, called me up before the court proceedings and just said " your ticket is being dismissed" and i was off without even having to go infront of a judge........With a speeding ticket i have pleaded guilty with an explanation, i was doing 70 in a 50, i simply admitted that i was speeding and what i was doing was wrong, said i thought i was in a 60 zone although i do admit i would have been speeding in that zone. So they changed my fine to that as if i was speeding 70 in a 60.....so sometimes guilty with an explanation works as well for a fee reduction, although it may only be 50 bucks so you have to decide if thats worth your time. and you can only pick not guilty or guilty with an explanation so thats a bit of a gamble....if you are a student sometimes that works to saying im a student and its difficult to afford this, sometimes that gets a reduction as well.

So, few options to look at, i would first off check the section and HTA to check the tickets validity, if you can find 1 thing wrong on the ticket chances are it will be tossed.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:26 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Well if you decide to fight it good luck.
Sometimes when somebody fights a ticket the cop may not show up, ad it is dismissed.
If you have to pay for it, take the 4 hour online course because Careless Driving puts 4 points on your license.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road
Default Lane Change

I'm not sure about your drivers handbook but mine states that you must maintain your lane for a required minimum distance before you may change to another lane. This allows other drivers to know what your intentions are. Just because you signal does not allow other drivers to know you intend to change two lanes at once. Take the ticket and learn the lesson. You may choose to ride a motorcycle some day and would not appreciate a 4 ton vehicle running you off the road.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Just from your brief description, in your own words, pay the fine.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:48 PM
AuSSenseiter is on a distinguished road

Here in Fl. its all about the money. One time I was charged for something stupid and when I went to court, the lady who went before me had a ticket for doing 70 in a 35. She produced a receipt for "speedo repair" and pleaded no contest. Her sentence? Pay the fine & court costs, no points.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:47 PM
matt92 is on a distinguished road

I did use a turn signal, but my buddy said i dont have to pick him up, so i had to make the next turn to go back home. I already got 2 tickets last year, and took the coure to take off the points. So idk if i can take the class again. And all they want is the $$$$ they could care less about what you did. They'll pull you over for ANYTHING in this city.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:58 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by AuSSenseiter
Here in Fl. its all about the money. One time I was charged for something stupid and when I went to court, the lady who went before me had a ticket for doing 70 in a 35. She produced a receipt for "speedo repair" and pleaded no contest. Her sentence? Pay the fine & court costs, no points.
Not to be an @$$, but the point is?

There is no way someone can claim they thought they were doing a 35mph speed limit while doing 70, speedo or no speedo.

Quick Reply: Should I fight this ticket?