Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

speeding ticket....need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:46 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road
Default speeding ticket....need advice

I am from nj. I got a speeding ticket on rt 13 in VA right before the Chesapeake Bay Bridge going south. A cop said I was going 74 in a 55. I dont believe I was going over 68 tops because I thought the speed limit was 65. That road is a joke and changes speed limit once or twice in a 10 mile span which is a joke and a great way for the crap state of va to collect money

Long story short im looking at a $50 processing fee $10 for a local charge (bullsh*t) and $6 for every mile over which is times 19 for a total of $174. Given im from nj and not va. Im not going 300 miles to fight it just to get told tough crap then owe a court fee on top of that. Since it was out of state, will I get points on my license? I heard since it was out of state I just pay a fine. Anyone shed light on this

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-19-2014, 10:59 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Consider yourself luckey. In CA a ticket like that is about $600! Beverly Hills PD doesn't play

Last edited by LeWhite; 06-19-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:27 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

one of the big problems i faced is my insurance went up when i got a ticket for a seat belt so factor that into the situation, it ended up going up 50$ a month for 3years so looking back i wish i would have fought it

Old 06-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

It will show on your license that you got the ticket but I don't know about the points. Your lucky it wasn't 75 cause 20 over is an automatic reckless in va as is 80 and over! I just got a speeding ticket a couple weeks ago from a speed camera. I was doing 7 over wtf! It was in my company car so my boss got the ticket and paid it before I even knew it happened. He didn't care he just cussed out the traffic cam and how stupid they are lol. My doesn't go on my license tho it's just a monetary fine since they would have to prove who was driving.
Like big said the biggest worry would be your insurance.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by rexmburns
It will show on your license that you got the ticket but I don't know about the points. Your lucky it wasn't 75 cause 20 over is an automatic reckless in va as is 80 and over! I just got a speeding ticket a couple weeks ago from a speed camera. I was doing 7 over wtf! It was in my company car so my boss got the ticket and paid it before I even knew it happened. He didn't care he just cussed out the traffic cam and how stupid they are lol. My doesn't go on my license tho it's just a monetary fine since they would have to prove who was driving.
Like big said the biggest worry would be your insurance.
i guess i can breath a little then, yea then i wouldve had to of gone to court. its stupid how the speed kept changing on 13. personally i wanted to take 95 which is atleast 65, but my grandmother suggested taking 13. last time i take 13 down to NC lol. im just gonna fork over the money, i have no other choice. i have a radar detector in my truck, i was driving her 2012 malibu (lol). im glad i chose not to bring it, that was an extra 50 i think. crazy theyre only out for money. if it went towards a good cause like a charity I wouldnt mind paying but its going in an already rich politicians pocket so its irritating

Old 06-20-2014, 11:36 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You, You should not have been speeding dangit! LOL JK!
The speed is like that in parts of WI, You will be on a highway, 65mph speed limit, every 2 miles is a city and the speed limit drops down to 35-45.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by richphotos
You, You should not have been speeding dangit! LOL JK!
The speed is like that in parts of WI, You will be on a highway, 65mph speed limit, every 2 miles is a city and the speed limit drops down to 35-45.
Thats the best part...it would just drop speed randomly. Its not like parts were highway and others were residential...it was all highyway..they set you up fot failure..everyone of my friends make fun of me for always going at or below the limit....

How longs it usually take to come online? Thats another thing. ..they want 4% fee to pay online....they can KMA ill write a check and mail it

Old 06-22-2014, 07:55 AM
Beginning Member
goldnugget is on a distinguished road

Get a lawyer in that area and have them appear for you and try to reduce/eliminate that ticket. Long story short I got a 24mph over when the speed limit changed from 35-55 because I accelerated before the limit sign. The officer was having a bad day or something because on top of being a real dick, he was sitting right behind the speed increase picking people off. I hired a lawyer for $250 and they reduced the ticket to a 1-10mph. I was still disappointed it was not removed but at least I escaped with my license and only 3 points removed. My insurance was unchanged as well being it was a minor violation at that point.

Last edited by goldnugget; 06-22-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by goldnugget
Get a lawyer in that area and have them appear for you and try to reduce/eliminate that ticket. Long story short I got a 24mph over when the speed limit changed from 35-55 because I accelerated before the limit sign. The officer was having a bad day or something because on top of being a real dick, he was sitting right behind the speed increase picking people off. I hired a lawyer for $250 and they reduced the ticket to a 1-10mph. I was still disappointed it was not removed but at least I escaped with my license and only 3 points removed. My insurance was unchanged as well being it was a minor violation at that point.
yea im considering getting one, but then again if the ticket really will only transfer 2 points to my license, then it will be gone in a year, (every year 3 points is removed for no violations in NJ). i have until august 5th. the lease I can do is get a quote from a lawyer, i just dont wanna fork any more than i gotta. i only have liability on my truck and pay maybe 600 for the year

now even when the points go away, will it still show i once had a few points for speeding?

Old 06-23-2014, 07:37 AM
Beginning Member
goldnugget is on a distinguished road

In WI you get points back each year, but the ticket is public record for 5 years so it does show up here in a simple background check.

Quick Reply: speeding ticket....need advice