Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

SUV= truck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:20 AM
Starting Member
No false Bravada is on a distinguished road
Default SUV= truck?

I know everyone has heard it said, a sports utility vehicle (SUV) called a truck. I've heard it plenty myself. I know they're on the same frame as a truck which is where it comes from, but I've never been one to call an SUV a truck. To me, if you can't put pickup, flatbed, tow, dump or box (or something of that nature) before saying truck, it doesn't sound right.
Everyone's entitled their own opinion, and that's mine.

One thing that supports this with me is this. When I go to Autozone after parts for the Bravada, it's listed under "Oldsmobile truck". Not outrageous, but what is also listed under this is the Silhouette. Last I remember, that was a minivan. It's not even a frame type like the Chevy work vans or the Ford Econoline vans.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:40 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I hate it when people call it a car!

Old 03-21-2015, 09:01 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Not all "SUV's" are built on truck frames. The old K5's were not considered trucks by the state of Colorado years back as there were no truck frames built that short.

I still call mine a truck, though. It is blasphemy to call it a car by any stretch.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:05 PM
Beginning Member
BuffettTruck is on a distinguished road

If I am among friends and family, I just say Jimmy (not 'the' Jimmy) or My Jimmy, but I have been known to call him a truck. I think it just feels more natural to say truck than 'Ess You Vee' or 'Soov'. My username actually came from one time when I said, "My truck..." and my 8 yr old said, "The Jimmy Buffett Truck?" and the Model became the name.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:43 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

^^ I say truck, SUV just is too much work, and it ain't a car. Although it insures as a passenger car, not a truck.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:29 AM
Starting Member

I just can't call an SUV a truck. It doesn't feel right to me. To me, it's almost the same as putting my Alero in the same class as a corvette. But you guys see what I mean about the Silhouette, right? The Chevy express vans and Ford econoline vans are at least on longer frames. The Silhouette is unibody. But it's a truck.
I'm in the same boat as you all. I would never call the Bravada or its Chevy and GMC cousins a car.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:00 AM
Beginning Member
BuffettTruck is on a distinguished road

I will just point out that trucks have 2x4 and 4x4 options, cars do not. unless it's an Outback? That said, I don't consider my Jimmy to be in the same class as a Tracker or Amigo, which also had 4x4 options.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:30 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

my mom always referred to it as a jeep.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:04 PM
Beginning Member
julianmunchkin is on a distinguished road

On my dads 1983 K5 in California, the vehicle type on the registration is "Stationwagon"

Old 03-24-2015, 11:59 PM
Starting Member

I asked a guy at work when I was telling him about the Bravada and he called it a truck. "if it's a truck, where's the bed?"

Quick Reply: SUV= truck?