Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Texting and driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Starting Member
JTalley is on a distinguished road
Default Texting and driving

They're playing a video right now about texting and driving. What do you think of it? It seems like people don't really think it's that bad. Some students were talking about how you can "hold it on top of the steering wheel." I said "keep it in your pocket." They said I was being too snappy. I feel I have a right to be snappy. I was hit by a car. Several of my ribs were cracked, my nose was broken, and I had a huge concussion, not to mention countless other injuries. Another time I was going across a crosswalk and a van took off when I was right in front of it. The driver was on a cell phone. Fortunately, I was fast enough to get out of the way. Now that I have my license I took it upon myself to be as safe as possible. I never text while driving. I don't even call while driving.

What is your opinion on texting and driving?

Old 01-24-2011, 09:21 AM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

It's pretty dumb.

I text and drive, BUT... my phone has a speech to text app on it, so all I have to do is talk. Granted, it takes my eyes off the road trying to read the response, it's safer than typing. I only read them if I'm stopped, though.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Beginning Member
KustomZ03 is on a distinguished road

It's illegal here in DE to talk or text while driving. I still see people doing all the time though. Personally, I don't do it and never have. Not worth the risk of hitting something or someone IMO.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:30 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Is that video you're talking about from AT&T? I think it was AT&T anyway. That one where it has all the ppl talking about the last text they sent to the person and then they went off the road or got in an accident and died? If so, that video is definitely moving and well done. Hopefully it will convince some people not to do it. It's called "the last text" if I'm not mistaken.

I have to say I am guilty of it myself. I have definitely texted and drove before. I've been pretty good lately and not doing it. I find driving a bigger vehicle like my Tahoe tends to make me not want to do it. Either way it's extremely dangerous and does cause accidents and kills people.
It's illegal in my province to use and handheld device while driving, unless you have bluetooth. This I disagree with as well since it's not the act of holding a phone up to your ear that causes the accidents, it's the act of being distracted period while talking to someone. Using a cell phone while driving is dangerous either way, whether you're holding it up to your ear or not. Studies prove it's not the holding it to your ear that causes the problem.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by KustomZ03
It's illegal here in DE to talk or text while driving. I still see people doing all the time though. Personally, I don't do it and never have. Not worth the risk of hitting something or someone IMO.
They're supposed to be passing a law here against it, but I don't know what's going on with that. Welcome to the forum, btw.

ADD: Yes, it is the AT&T video. It's pretty sad, imo. I just wish that some of these people around me would listen as opposed to talking about how to "safely" text and drive. I would embed the video, but YouTube is blocked on this computer.

Last edited by JTalley; 01-24-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Texting while driving is reckless and stupid.

As far as talking on a cell phone while driving... No different than carrying on a conversation with an occupant. Some people just don't have the capacity to both drive and have a conversation, but the majority do. Just do it legally and responsibly.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Starting Member

I actually think that talking with an occupant is safer. When I talk on a phone and try to do something else at the same time it becomes confusing. However, if the same person was standing right next to me and I was doing the same thing, it's not that hard. That's why I never tried talking on a phone and driving.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Beginning Member
KustomZ03 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JTalley
They're supposed to be passing a law here against it, but I don't know what's going on with that. Welcome to the forum, btw.

ADD: Yes, it is the AT&T video. It's pretty sad, imo. I just wish that some of these people around me would listen as opposed to talking about how to "safely" text and drive. I would embed the video, but YouTube is blocked on this computer.

It took a few years for our law to actually go into effect. It started with just a few cities and then eventually moved on to the whole state.

Thanks for the welcome!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:52 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

It has been illegal for a while now in Ontario to use a handheld device while driving, handsfree devices being the exception.

I never condoned txting while driving, and for whatever reason people on cell phones are dangerous, I've been nearly side swiped numerous times by people on phones who neglected to check their mirror before changing lanes, thank christ I didn't have anyone next to me in the other lane and I was able to change over while leaning on the horn.

When I got my Blazer (5 spd) I bought a bluetooth headset because it's very difficult to steer, hold a phone and shift. This was before the law was put into place.

As far as talking to a passenger, I try and give the conversation enough attention to comprehend what's being said to me, but 80% of my focus stays on the road... when I'm on the phone people tend to get the "Unhuh, yup, cool, oh nice... yeah, oh yeah..." response. "Are you listening to me?" "NO, I'm driving!"

Old 01-24-2011, 10:14 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

I txt at stoplights.... its can be painful... but I also put a password on my phone so to deter myself... and to stop people from poking around, because I had a friend who likes to take it and mess around with it....

I like kyle's response... and its true...

Quick Reply: Texting and driving