Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Texting and driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:07 AM
Starting Member
JTalley is on a distinguished road

I know exactly what you mean! Sometimes I wonder what kind of people there are out there. Most of what's on TV is stuff so sick that I don't even like watching it. With all this garbage out there, how can 1 commercial against texting while driving scar someone for life?

Thinking back on it, I can't say I saw a video about texting while driving when I was in driver's ed. All they showed us were old movies that were most likely made before text messaging came about. Those, and anti-drug movies. There really isn't enough education about this. I'm glad they showed that AT&T video at school today, even though it was just totally random.

I just realized something... I'm in the school newspaper. I can use my position to spread the word. I feel this is something that needs to be mentioned, at least, even if it's just a short public service announcement.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:21 AM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Part of the problem as well is its not really enforced. I guarantee if cops start pulling over teens and the govt would let em slap a $500 dollar ticket and like 100 community service hours MINIMUM I guarantee people will quit!. I think harsh punishments though. But the worst punishment to that is killing yourself or a family or something so ya know. People don't respect the fact that we roll around in 3000lb (or more) vehicles and they forget how dangerous they are. I looked at my radio making a turn for that split second and totaled my 92 blazer. Granted the guy was hauling ***** and there was a curve b4 the light and I didn't see him when I started my left turn. Still that not even second to do that ended like that. Teens don't understand what their getting into getting their license and personaly when they do something stupid, not a legit accident, but truely something stupid, I.e: texting and driving, its not punished severly enough. Just my opinion on it all sorry for the book y'all.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:41 AM
Starting Member
theonetruetom is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABN31B
I've said it before the last time this came up; i have way to much going on to text and drive:

basically with all of the other fun stuff to do while driving (blocking out people who drive like they are more important than everyone else on the road is my favorite) there just isn't any time to text, when tearing and pouring hot sauce
I love blocking jackass drivers too. YOUR LACK OF PREPAREDNESS IS NOT MY PROBLEM ASSHAT!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Using a mobile phone without handsfree is also illegal here in New Zealand. Fine is $80 bucks & 20 points off (100 points).

Old 01-25-2011, 03:09 AM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

the fine here in ont is around $160 for using your handheld device (cells, pagers, GPS UNITS, anything you gotta touch basically), i have a speaker for my iphone and i'm guilty of looking & texting at times - but i drive mostly expressway highway's when i play stupidly like that (not that its any more intelligent - just gives you longer strait's without other traffic @ times.) i've ripped my gf's head off many times for texting me while i'm driving and i will every time she does regardless.

btw they outlawed handhelds because its not the conversation itself that they wanted to deter you from, they wanted to keep your eyes on the road instead of trying to dial the number!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Beginning Member
KustomZ03 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cochran07
Part of the problem as well is its not really enforced. I guarantee if cops start pulling over teens and the govt would let em slap a $500 dollar ticket and like 100 community service hours MINIMUM I guarantee people will quit!. I think harsh punishments though. But the worst punishment to that is killing yourself or a family or something so ya know. People don't respect the fact that we roll around in 3000lb (or more) vehicles and they forget how dangerous they are. I looked at my radio making a turn for that split second and totaled my 92 blazer. Granted the guy was hauling ***** and there was a curve b4 the light and I didn't see him when I started my left turn. Still that not even second to do that ended like that. Teens don't understand what their getting into getting their license and personaly when they do something stupid, not a legit accident, but truely something stupid, I.e: texting and driving, its not punished severly enough. Just my opinion on it all sorry for the book y'all.
The main problem around here is that its not teens who are the problem. It's the soccer moms and dads who yap yap yap while driving 30mph, pull out in front of people, fail to signal, etc. Plus the fines are laughable...$50 first offense and $100 for each one after. Zero points and no chance of having your license suspended.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:02 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yeah where do you think they learn this crap from? Mommy and daddy do it so it must be ok for me to do it. People get bad driving habits from their parents. IMO parents shouldn't be allowed to teach their kid to drive. Now I know there's some that are good. My dad was a stiffler about blinkers and being in the lane you need at least a mile before. But you can't go through the general population and say well you suck at driving and you don't so you can't teach your kid but you can... I think every kid to get their license should have to go through a driving school. I did it and I'm a better driver for it today.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Starting Member
Debonair is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by theonetruetom
I love blocking jackass drivers too.
as do i!

but as far as texting and driving i do it. though i have my own guidlines.

-must be going in a straight line, no turns or curves.

-stoplights and stop signs are fair game.

-i dont do it if there is traffic around me.

i dont have to look at my keyboard when i'm typing, and my hands are still on the wheel.

and i don't type paragraphs nor do i read them. it takes me just as long to read a text as it does on any highway sign/billboard.

i hate to say it but the people that are being the cause of accidents from texting/driving that its just survival of the fittest...

*yes i know other people's lives are in danger, i was just speaking about theirs.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Starting Member
theonetruetom is on a distinguished road

I just don't do it. At all. Like I said, I totalled a car and spent some time in jail over texting and driving. Lesson learned, through bad food and an orange jumpsuit.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Beginning Member
KustomZ03 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cochran07
Oh yeah where do you think they learn this crap from? Mommy and daddy do it so it must be ok for me to do it. People get bad driving habits from their parents. IMO parents shouldn't be allowed to teach their kid to drive. Now I know there's some that are good. My dad was a stiffler about blinkers and being in the lane you need at least a mile before. But you can't go through the general population and say well you suck at driving and you don't so you can't teach your kid but you can... I think every kid to get their license should have to go through a driving school. I did it and I'm a better driver for it today.
I guess things are alot diff in the south. I rarely ever see a teen around here on the phone...they are too busy speeding, riding peoples bumpers and weaving through traffic to have time for that but thats a whole diff thread in itself lol.

Quick Reply: Texting and driving