Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

What kind of tools do you use? Set or a box you put together?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 01:43 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cochran07
I've owned stanley tools for the past 5 years. My old set was missing a few things so I used that as justification to upgrade and gave the old set to a really good friend (like a lil brother to me) that just started driving. But I can honestly say I've punished my stanleys and am yet to break anything or chip any coatings or anything. For simple everyday use tools they've worked great. Since I don't turn wrenches for a living I don't see a point in owning 5-30k worth of tools when other than a few things my little stanley set does the trick. The set I have has a 1/2" drive, 3/4" drive, and 1/4" drive and I think I paid 80 bucks for it at walmart.
agreed. I once had more expensive brands. full set of ratcheting wrenches(when ther were still fricken expensive) and a bunch of other stuff.... the day I had 10K worth of tools stoelen from me is the day I realised Why.. I use them to work on my own junk and don't need anything that good. mastercraft has become my #1 used brand. get them cheap when they are on sale and lifetime warantee....

My next set for my jimmy I think will be the 207pc craftsman. have a rain check for 90 down from 300

Old 01-23-2011, 02:03 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah man that sucks.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Starting Member
jesseh is on a distinguished road

My top box at work is Snap-On that I bought in 1973, my bottom box is Waterloo that I bought about 3 years ago, needed some more room and didn't want to spend a lot of money this late in my years. Most of my hand tools are Snap-On I do have some Craftsman, Mac, and other brands mixed in for special use.Harbor Freight stuff is o.k. for at home where you only use it once in a while, I just don't think you can count on it for ever day all day.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Beginning Member
theyammieguy is on a distinguished road

I worked with a 75 year old man that had a waterloo, he said it was over 50 years old.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:59 PM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

haven't picked up a stand alone tool box for in my garage yet - since i didn't have the garage till just this winter as mine to use.

as for tools, i have a stanley set that stays in my currently driven vehicle for the emerge breakdown type deals, or pissing around swapping some after market stuff in. My other better set is a Mastercraft set (better quality than the craftsmen sets imo and for you down south of the border to get the idea since i'm 99$% sure u don't have that brand) they're cheaper in price than the stanley set and i scored a 205 piece socket set for a total of $70 - 70% off lol! gotta love Canadian Tire's major sales. other assorted tools i have in the tool bag (for work) 95% are mastercraft too. some cheap crap screw drivers and files cuz they were the right price and get used @ work on their dime if broken.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:16 AM
Starting Member
JTalley is on a distinguished road

I actually have a set and a box that I put together. I have a Craftsman set, and I have this box that I've been collecting for years. What really annoys me is that I never seem to have the right tool for the job.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:02 AM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

All of my wrenches and socket sets are Mastercraft Maximum series, not the low end mastercraft or jobmate stuff. Maximum is supposedly made for Canadian tire by Mac tools,which makes perfect sense if Stanley is because they also have that brand. I don't waste my time with powerfist crap as anything I have had from there breaks, and when your under a truck lifetime warranty when it breaks doesn't do you much good if you have to drive 1.5 hours to exchange it. Powerfist is only ok if you need a mirror or a magnet to reach something that fell,you can't rely on their tools, equivalent to harbourfrieght. I have some snap-on specialty tools too. I also have some custom made tools I have made in the past for hard to reach things. My tool box is 41" wide and 6" tall and all stainless steel from Costco. Best box you can get for $749.99 better and cheaper than the black Canadian Tire box sets.
I am also a tool **** everything in my toolbox has a place and I can look in any drawer and tell you right away whats missing, or if your helping me I can tell you what drawer to find stuff in to pass me.

Last edited by xmradioguy; 01-25-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:37 AM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Back when the 2 small boxes I own was in order I could look and see what's missing imediatly. Now that their both destroyed.. well you get the idea. I need to pick up another steel box tho cause one of mine were plastic and its tore to hell.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:10 PM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

i have two craftsman roll around boxes. filled with mostly craftsman / snap-on.
in my blazer i have a 100 something piece set plus a few random things in there. like my snap on screw driver( racheting and able to angle). haha the only ive never used is my snap on 3ft extention. haha i thought i t would be something nice to have...... lol

Old 03-07-2011, 04:02 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Besides my Craftsman, Metrinch, Snap on and no name tools I have come to love harbor freight. So far I have a Blast Cabinet, Hydraulic Press, Angle Drill, Oil Pressure Tester, Fuel Pressure Tester all from harbor freight.

Quick Reply: What kind of tools do you use? Set or a box you put together?