Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

when is enough, enough?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 04:11 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by UberFail
as far as it goes for valuing used vs new - SOME things i won't cheap out on......................................... in the case of the fenders @ 80 ea compared to $650 ea/pair ................................... and between me and you, we both know this first hand Chris - junkyards charge avg of 50%-100% more for what they pull for you. So if the pulled price still comes in under 75% of a brand new cost on certain items i'm all for saving that extra amt.
Originally Posted by streblo
and i agree with uber, an alternator, water pump, fuel pump, cap and rotor etc. i would probably never get from a junkyard unless i was totaly strapped for cash. the headlight switch and rear tailgate glass on the other hand i would make a trip to the junkyard for.

sorry, i guess i should've been even more clear in my OP.

gonna tackle everything both of you guys said, in order.

@ Chris: i agree with you, somethings just aren't worth getting used, no matter how good of a deal you get.

and that price was for both fenders. so that's $80 (cash) for the pair, versus just over $650 (including tax) for the pair. so it was definately worth the 4+ hours. besides, it was only snow i had to deal with.

and your absolutely right again. the upcharge on pulled parts @ a wreckers can kill the deal.

@ Jon: i've never understood why someone would go to a JY to grab an alternator (or any electrical type motor) or sterring component for their vehicle. i mean, there's a reason they'll only give you 30 or 90 days on some of those things. and tune up stuff? seriously? you've seen people getting that from a wreckers? i guess those guys fall into the same catagory as the ones that go to a wreckers to get wiper blades.

now, having said all that, i will take the alt off a vehicle i'm parting out. either to keep it as a good spare, or as a core for a rebuild, or even to seperate the aluminum for scrap metal. never in a million years would i think of using an old water pump on my engine though. jus not worth the risk of having it ruinning your engine, or just plain leaving you stranded.

now..........a HL switch (like mine with factory fogs) or even the rear glass (which mine is from a parts truck) is definately worth it. again, only if it's checked out to be in GWO. and sometimes keeping stuff that doesn't even replace what you have is always good to keep around, if it's in GWO.

that's how Brad got his non-fog HL switch. i kept a good one from a parts truck, even though it doesn't have the factory fog light switch in it, and just gave it to him 'cause he wanted to do something custom.

*whew* need a glass of water now.

oh yeah, i ended up only getting the passenger hub. the driver's one was jut covered in anti-sieze. and he only charged me $20 for it. not bad considering it only had 917 kms on it (found the bill in the car) and it was $140 BN to by it.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:09 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i did about 6 years back then bought a new truck... then got sick of truck payments so went back to old beaters. its a catch 22. i always have 2 running trucks so if one is down i got another one on back up

Old 01-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Starting Member
Debonair is on a distinguished road

i did a lot of work on my 84 camaro, fixing many things that were breaking. after sitting for a few months, i started driving it again and the trans started acting weird. thats when i said enough, 2 months later, i got a new (to me) camaro lol