Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

This is why you DON'T go to JiffyLube

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road
Default This is why you DON'T go to JiffyLube

Hey guys,

So, I like to help people, and I like to work on cars. Well, a good family friend of mine was about to go on a 300 mile trip and needed an oil change before. So, I volunteered to do it for her and to do it for a few bucks less than her usual JiffyLube does. Of course, I didn't cheap on the quality of the oil, nor the filter.
The vehicle was a 2002 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 Liter V6. So, I started to remove the drain plug. I thought it was strange that the drain plug was 5/8". The plug was really tight and when I got it out, I realized the two problems at work:
1. The threads on the plug were completely gone, only the last two remained.
2. This was NOT the factory drain plug, but rather just a machine bolt!

I had to go to Napa and get a real drain plug (with the gasket.) and luckily the threads in the bottom of the oil pan were still intact. However, there were a lot of metal shavings still attached to the old plug which makes me wonder how many were in the oil...

So far it's only been $7 for repair, but it is definitely not good to have the threads that hold your drain plug in to be compromised, especially if the driver doesn't know what a low oil pressure light means.

Just think about it next time you see someone drop their baby off for a $54.99 break-everything session.

-- I would like to add that this behemoth was so heavy that my 3-ton floor jack couldn't lift it at all, when it can lift my Blazer effortlessly!

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

I had something like that happen to me too a couple years ago.

Beginning of summer, I had replaced my upper radiator hose on my Bonneville. About mid summer I went into one of those Quaker State 10 min places and had my oil changed. About a month later, (unrelated) I had to pull my engine, and in doing so, I noticed that my upper radiator hose had a nice razor type cut along the underside of the hose. Couldn't have happened anywhere else because the oil change place was the only place my car had been to.

From that point on, I have made it a point to NEVER goto another repair facility again. Unless it is NYS Inspection time.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Starting Member
megaroos_00 is an unknown quantity at this point

My brother took his girlfriend's(at the time) accord into Walmart for an oil change. Well, on his way home, he realized something was up. The tech never screwed the oil cap on and oil was all over the inside of the engine compartment as well as the underside of the hood.

I will never pay to get my Blazer's oil changed. Thank goodness for a loving boyfriend and his dad who put a lift in his garage!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:49 PM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

The last (and first lol ) oil change I got for my blazer, I found my skid plate bolts stripped out, I guess They removed the plate for easy access to the filter, then used an Impact to tighten the bolts back down, I was pissed lol, not that big out deal, but they could've had the ***** to tell me!

So The next time I'm doing it my self!!

Old 12-11-2009, 07:05 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure there are lots of horror stories that we could tell. The Valvoline place here in town will not let you get out when you bring your car in for service. This annoys me to no end. I want to see what they are doing. I know you guys and gals are as passionate as I about our Blazers and even our other vehicles. I prefer to do my own work. For one its a lot cheaper and you know the quality of the work is gonna be top notch. Plus it's the satisfaction of seeing it done right. There are only a couple of things I have to bring it to a shop for, front end alignments is about it for me.

But if you do decide to take it in for an oil change be very careful and watch them like a hawk. As the OP found out.