Lowering Tech This section is for suspension questions related to decreasing the ride height of your vehicle.

just lowered it 3/4, now there's a noise in the rear.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:56 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

do you have rear disc brakes?
some blazer with read discs will rub the caliper on the frame when its lowered

Old 02-09-2010, 07:09 AM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

he'll have rear discs.
Hey Mike, would a 3" drop all around have that issue?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Beginning Member
lilsilver04 is on a distinguished road

yes, my truck does have rear discs. they aren't rubbing anything though.

and it is not the driveshaft either. only does it when i push down on the rear end to simulate suspension flex. gotta be the no name shocks huh?

Old 02-09-2010, 02:13 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilsilver04
yes, my truck does have rear discs. they aren't rubbing anything though.

and it is not the driveshaft either. only does it when i push down on the rear end to simulate suspension flex. gotta be the no name shocks huh?
No its not that there no name its that when you lowered them it compressed them so you only have like an inch or so of travel before the shock piston hits the bottom which is making the clunking noise. I had the same problem on my blazer and I had bilsteins. Just make sure to get drop shocks for the front and back and it will help with your ride a ton.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:18 PM

he did use drop shocks, also when you use blocks in the rear, like he did, it doesnt change the legnth of the shock. When you use blocks you want a stiffer shock not a shorter one

Old 02-09-2010, 03:12 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

There was defiantly a change. Before I lowered mine my rear leafs and a bend in them, after then didn't. Which would mean that shock position had to have been changed.

The main factor was when i spray painted my rear shocks black and then i took the blocks back out to put the 30's on my blazer there was a noticeable difference where I could see yellow showing.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by TheBrettster
There was defiantly a change. Before I lowered mine my rear leafs and a bend in them, after then didn't. Which would mean that shock position had to have been changed.

The main factor was when i spray painted my rear shocks black and then i took the blocks back out to put the 30's on my blazer there was a noticeable difference where I could see yellow showing.
that really doesnt make sense. you arent changing the spring rate or anything all you are doing is moving the axle further from the spring pack. which should have no effect on the springs or shocks

I'm not saying that it didnt happen. it just isnt something that should happen

Old 02-09-2010, 04:12 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Yeah, you should only need drop shocks on the front.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Beginning Member
lilsilver04 is on a distinguished road

well im about to throw the stock bilsteins back on the rear to see if it makes the noise go away. the front isnt making any noise b/c i can push down the front bumper and it doesnt make the same creeking noise, just the rear.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:48 PM

are the ubolts straight up and down?

Quick Reply: just lowered it 3/4, now there's a noise in the rear.