Lowering Tech This section is for suspension questions related to decreasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Lowering 4x4, confused...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 01:47 AM
kajida is on a distinguished road
Default Lowering 4x4, confused...

Ok, the dreaded lowering of a 4x4, but hey, I never off-road and live in Minnesota, where 4x4 is useful in the winter time.

Anyways, I'm looking at a 3/4 drop, springs, blocks. Nothing fancy. What i'm wondering though is the kit i'm looking at says 2WD only because of the blocks in the back, yet i've read that people have used blocks in the back of 4x4's... Am I missing something?

Thanks

Old 09-11-2013, 03:52 AM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough

2wd use springs and spindles upfront 4x4 does not. but blocks you can use on both.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:34 AM

Ok so blocks work in the back but springs don't work in the front??? You can't tell me the torsion bar is the only way to lower the front of a 4x4... I know I've seen people in here do it with springs.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

There are no springs in the front of an S-series blazer, so yes, T-bars are the only way to lower the front.. Unless you get into some elaborate custom front suspension setup that can still keep the 4wd.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:02 AM

Ah damn, now I feel dumb... I was just looking at the suspension last night and now that you say that, your right, there are no springs in front... /facepalm...

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2013, 06:43 PM

Ok, need some thoughts. I bought keys and blocks for my drop. I tried doing the keys this morning and spent 4 hours banging my head against the torsion bars and factory keys. I couldn't get anything to move to save my life. Dropped the blocks and pulled the bolts on the cross member, but i could just barely get a drift tap into the tiny hold on the back of the TB. Also, thank you gas tank, for being totally in the way.

So in a nutshell, with the blocks out and pressure relieved, how the heck does one go about breaking the TB's free so they can slide forward enough to get the keys off?

Old 09-15-2013, 07:10 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

a big hammer,pb blaster,12 pack of good beer and lots of hard as hell wacks it sucks *****,but doable..

wack the bars at the lower control arms. as hard as u can. nothing to break but rust.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:35 PM

Making another attempt at the TB's this week. I have the use of my neighbors garage (he has every tool imaginable including a scissor lift) for a week. Gunna park his car in my garage. So either the bars will break free or the bars will break.... Resistance if futile... My truck is getting lowered wether she likes it or not...! lol

Old 09-16-2013, 10:39 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

That's the spirit!

Old 12-04-2013, 04:30 PM
sickman420 is on a distinguished road

I got mine out by unloading them and then unbolting the crossmember, then, after a few heavy shots of pb blaster, I used a 4 foot long piece of rebar, and a bfh and pounded them out of the control ARM first, then I carried both bars still in the crossmember and used a bench vice and made a punch out of some scrap metal I had and pounded the keys off on a workbench. Be careful if you make your own punch and use rebar like I did. If the side your pounding on starts to mushroom, pieces of it can break off and hurt you. I took like 3 hefty hearty wacks, then checked my bar/punch.

Quick Reply: Lowering 4x4, confused...