New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

1979 4WD Blazer 350

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 10:12 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

To replace the flex plate on one of these old Blazers, remove the lower flex plate cover and the torque converter bolts. Remove the lower four trans bellhousing bolts and replace with 5" long bolts from the hardware store. Remove the bolt where the transmission mounts to the crossmember. Now take a big prybar between the torque converter and flex plate and pry the transmission backwards away from the engine. Should go back a couple of inches - just enough to get at the flex plate bolts. When done replacing the flex plate, pry the transmission forward on the bolts (floor jack under the engine will make this easier), install the top two and then replace the four long bolts with the originals. Reinstall the torque converter bolts and lower flex plate cover. I do not recall ever having to remove a driveshaft or the shift linkage. Turns this into a very quick and easy job.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:24 AM
InMemoryOf is on a distinguished road

So far things are going good. Some bolts were stripped and after some time we finally got them out. Luckily my cousin has some knowledge and he has been helping out alot. The rear U Joint will have to replaces and a few other things but the main goal for today is to get the truck started. After research and collecting info I was able to find out what kind of engine and things are coming along very well taking a break to get some food and will be back at it. Thanks for all the advice so far I will continue to update as I move along. The picture I attached is what the flywheel.looks like

Old 09-11-2021, 01:21 PM
InMemoryOf is on a distinguished road

So we got the flywheel out but it looks like something ceized up to make the flywheel look this way. I think my dad replaced the tranfer case not sure why though(maybe it ceized up) but also the transmission bolts that connected to the block was missing 2 bolts. Not sure why the flywheel is like this I don't want to put my new one on and it do the same thing. Any thoughts?

Old 09-11-2021, 02:29 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

That's actually more common than you might think. I doubt anything is seized up. If it makes you feel better, though, you can take off the driveshafts and turn the transfer case yokes to see if everything rotates freely.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:00 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

This would be a good point to start a new thread. You could put it in the "Builds" section.