New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

1987 K5 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 02:36 PM
morganisrossis is on a distinguished road
Cool 1987 K5 Blazer

Hello, everyone! I am a 29 year old female and bought my dream truck two years ago from a private seller at the Mecum Auctions in Denver. She had one owner and only 64,000K miles! 350 CI, new Monroe shocks, original aluminum wheels, power rear window, locking hubs.

My dad and I have been working on her since and slowly replacing all the old stock parts. Here is a list of what we've upgraded so far:
1. Upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, rotors and drums, brake pads
2. Hooker headers, removed Catalytic Converter, new exhaust pipes and dual Delta Flow 50 mufflers **welds keep breaking apart!**
3. Distributor cap, rotor, cables, and timing
4. Thermostat, fuel filter, air filter
5. Transfer case seal
6. Alternator, battery, cables, and spark plugs
7. Steering shaft, dual stabilizers, steering box, power steering pump, and vibration reducer
8. Changed gear oils and engine oil and filter several times
9. Rebuilt transmission after 75,000 miles (it destroyed itself after driving through a parking garage)
10. All new belts

Projects I would like to complete before winter:
1. Fix my exhaust welding! The welds have broken twice now and one side is only held by my exhaust hangers and I cannot sit idle for too long without the cab smelling like exhaust. I cannot find a welder in my area and one company made the welds (now broken) look like bubblegum (I got my money back).
2. New LED headlights because I cannot see ANYTHING at night. Any recommendations?
3. Window wipers work great initially, but then slow and even stop while driving and cannot be turned back on until I restart my truck. This is SO BAD when it rains. I typically turn my wipers on for a few seconds and then turn off, repeatedly until I get to my destination so they don't get "stuck". I cannot have this happen during a snowstorm. Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix?
* I have so many more projects, but these must be completed in the next two months. Please point me in the right direction! Thanks for reading.

Morgan

Her backyard.

Pristine!

Old 08-29-2021, 03:02 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Wow! That thing looks super clean. My guess for the windshield wiper issue would be that you need a new wiper motor, but it's only a guess, If you want to properly diagnose it, I would start by measuring the supply voltage at the motor and seeing if it decreases when the wipers slow down. Maybe check the current draw, as well.

The exhaust just needs to be welded by somebody competent. I assume you don't have a decent muffler shop near you? You might be able to weld it in sections outside the vehicle, which makes it much easier. Also, make sure you have enough hangers that the exhaust components themselves are not stressed.

Good luck with your new ride. It's a nice one!

Old 08-30-2021, 12:47 AM
morganisrossis is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tom A
Wow! That thing looks super clean. My guess for the windshield wiper issue would be that you need a new wiper motor, but it's only a guess, If you want to properly diagnose it, I would start by measuring the supply voltage at the motor and seeing if it decreases when the wipers slow down. Maybe check the current draw, as well.

The exhaust just needs to be welded by somebody competent. I assume you don't have a decent muffler shop near you? You might be able to weld it in sections outside the vehicle, which makes it much easier. Also, make sure you have enough hangers that the exhaust components themselves are not stressed.

Good luck with your new ride. It's a nice one!
Thank you so much for replying! I'll take your advice on the wipers and report back in the correct chat
No decent muffler shows in Vail, CO. I guess I could try harder to look! Thanks again!

Old 08-30-2021, 05:01 PM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the Blazer Forum.

A really nice ride!